Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What would you do, what can I do?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

We went on a vacation this last week to Mackinaw City, MI! It was wonderful, the scenes were BEAUTIFUL! 

The sunset cruise we took under the mackinaw bridge!

Under the bridge!

So we had a wonderful time. Except for the rain one night, and our experience shopping downtown as another. We went into a lot of stores downtown looking for gifts. I can tell which ones not to take my kids into, some are a little crazy for my liking and we have 4 kids 6 and under. My sister was with us and her and my BIL have 3 kids 6 and under, so we had 7 little kids with us. 

SO we go into this store, it is a general gift shop, not anything specific, all sorts of things, including kid stuff. My sister is in the back of the store with some of the kids and all of a sudden a parrot went off.... It wasnt pushed, it must have been motion activated.... It said "Polly wants a fucking cracker" Now, this may not seem awful to some, but I have never said it, and this is my first time writting it, since I have had kids. We are christians, we homeschool, ect. Our kids do not hear this, they dont watch tv. If this parrot was a push button parrot, we pushed it, and it cussed, that is one thing, we did nothing but be in the store.... SO my sister shooed all the kids up front, and I went back to see some police badges with kids names she said they had. I am standing there and it goes off (btw, I have no clue where this thing was, I couldnt see it around where I was standing immediately) and it says "Show me your tits".....

So I kindly walk up to the girl working and I say "I just wanted to let you know I was going to buy some things, but I had my 7 little children in this store with me and you have a parrot that doesnt have to be played with to go off cussing and telling me to show it my tits. You shouldnt have that going off by motion because you never know who is back there and I would hate to have my kids repeat those things"... SHe looks at me with a attitude says "Ok" looks over at a guy working there, he gives me a dirty look and I walked out. I was so mad. If her son told her grandma Show me your tits, I think she would be horrified....

My husband said maybe they should have a sign outside that says "Some content may be mature" or "Some content not suitable for all ages" and then we would know NOT to go into the store with the kids. 

Even if they had the stupid parrot in there, have it so you have to PUSH the button, and it is not motion activated! 

If they would have just said OH I am so sorry, I would have moved on. I got dirty looks and talked to like I was stupid. I wouldnt take this further if it was just a simple appology and ACT like they care, but they didnt. I feel like calling someone, doing something. Does the city determine what is adult content in its stores? WOuld writting or calling the city do anything? Are there certain things that have to be noted if they are in your face like that? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM

We totally avoided stores like spencers, I could tell those ones, and we stayed out of them because we had the kids and my 6 years olds read and my daughter read some shirts I didnt like. This was downtown Mackinaw, but we did go to the island too! We went to the Fort and that was about it though because transporting 7 kids around the island on bikes or carriages is not cheap, or fun lol. It was a fun boat ride though and we went camping for 6 days and it was awesome! 

Quoting hplesha:

Maybe it was a store like Spencer's. But otherwise, i love mackinaw island!! I haven't been up there since 8th grade.

atyou
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:00 PM
You can't keep your kids in a bubble forever.

Rather than freak out....toy could have used this as a learning experience for your kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Your kids are obviously being raised differently then mine. F*** is NOT a word we say. Period. Ever. We dont even say crap and while I know my kids WILL hear the words at some point, I dont think this was appropriate.

Quoting epoh:

I don't see a problem with the word fuck. My kids don't know what tits are but if they had been there and asked I would have told them its innappropriate for kids to say.

I don't see what the big deal is.

hplesha
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:03 PM
I probably would have said the same thing to the staff, but i would forget about it too. I do however think the staff was a bunch of assholes and could have at least said ok we will look into it, at least make you think it's important lol.

Did you camp on the island?? That would be awesome!! Ive only gone for the day. Do you live in Michigan?

Quoting Anonymous:

We totally avoided stores like spencers, I could tell those ones, and we stayed out of them because we had the kids and my 6 years olds read and my daughter read some shirts I didnt like. This was downtown Mackinaw, but we did go to the island too! We went to the Fort and that was about it though because transporting 7 kids around the island on bikes or carriages is not cheap, or fun lol. It was a fun boat ride though and we went camping for 6 days and it was awesome! 

Quoting hplesha:

Maybe it was a store like Spencer's. But otherwise, i love mackinaw island!! I haven't been up there since 8th grade.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:03 PM

so are you going to have them wear ear plugs ?

sorry but they will hear things like that and much worse  out in the world ,  its  up to you to teach them what is or is not ok to say ,  and if i was the owner i would have reacted the same way .

epoh
by The Enzyme Helicase on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Okay, and? So you're gong to contact the city in hopes of doing what? Getting a warning sign outside of a store you'll never visit again? Why not teach your children that there is room outside beyond your bubble?
Quoting Anonymous:

Your kids are obviously being raised differently then mine. F*** is NOT a word we say. Period. Ever. We dont even say crap and while I know my kids WILL hear the words at some point, I dont think this was appropriate.

Quoting epoh:

I don't see a problem with the word fuck. My kids don't know what tits are but if they had been there and asked I would have told them its innappropriate for kids to say.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fallin4baby
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I LOVE LOVE mackinaw :) that's all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Oh jeez. Don't leave your house then.

Quoting Xat:

I would be upset too. We are Christians as well and we don't use foul language in our house. If I was in your shoes I would probably try to forget about it and just remember to never go there again. I don't think that writing the city would really do a whole lot of good but if it makes you feel better it wouldn't hurt to try.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:06 PM

No, we camped in the city, MIll Creek Camping... I have camped there since I was a kid! We just went to the island saturday. We went to mackinaw ever year growing up and I love it! Its about 4 hours away, we live near Detroit.  Are you in MI?

Quoting hplesha:

I probably would have said the same thing to the staff, but i would forget about it too. I do however think the staff was a bunch of assholes and could have at least said ok we will look into it, at least make you think it's important lol.

Did you camp on the island?? That would be awesome!! Ive only gone for the day. Do you live in Michigan?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting hplesha:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM

There was a kid MAYBE 12-13 yrs old wearing a shirt that said "Tell your BOOBS to store staring in my eyes" Your probably the kids mom arnt you?

Quoting epoh:

Okay, and? So you're gong to contact the city in hopes of doing what? Getting a warning sign outside of a store you'll never visit again? Why not teach your children that there is room outside beyond your bubble?
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting epoh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)