Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think I'm wrong?? *ETA*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this
OK so my father in law just traded in his 2010 Explorer Sport Trac for a 2012 single cab truck of some sort. I have told him repeatedly that he WILL NOT be picking up my 2 year old, whether the airbags are turned off or not. They also have a Camry, and I've told him on days he wants to pick up up Leah he needs to switch cars with his wife. I dont think I'm being unreasonable. Apparently he does. I've been told repeatedly by him that he will pick her up in in regardless (ya, right) and I'm dumb or whatever. I'm overprotective.he's now saying that he wont watch her or pick her up anymore. that he wont pick her up in anything but the single cab truck.

I absolutely forbid it! He says he asked a police officer, and the police officer said it was not illegal. My point is.... I dont care if its legal or not. I dont care if other people do it or not. I just know I DO NOT want my small daughter riding in the front seat of any vehicle. it is too dangerous and id rather not take my chances.

Do you think I'm being ridiculous?

(if there was a genuine situation where she needed to go with him and there was no other means, like some sort of emergency, I would allow it. but it would still make me terribly nervous.)

ETA
He is not my babysitter. He picks her up several times a week to spend time with her. Maybe I worded my post poorly. He is not doing me a service, he just loves his grand daughter and wants to spend time with her. Which I think is great. But it needs to be on my terms.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM
bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:29 AM

IMO, once the child leaves your care- they are the responsibility of the other adults... so you made your point- now, he cannot watch her, or take her anywhere. i think you are-- its his car, how else is he supposed to transport her places?- but its not my child, so its not my decision. DS has had to ride in an unstable car a few times b/c thats all the other adult had. once DS is released from my car- he's in the car of another, who makes the rules, including when they will be going places and how

.not.angel.
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Yes and no. You can't tell him what to drive. But I hope you're good without having a sitter that will pick your kid up.

sissyboogs
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

IMO, once the child leaves your care- they are the responsibility of the other adults... so you made your point- now, he cannot watch her, or take her anywhere. i think you are-- its his car, how else is he supposed to transport her places?- but its not my child, so its not my decision. DS has had to ride in an unstable car a few times b/c thats all the other adult had. once DS is released from my car- he's in the car of another, who makes the rules, including when they will be going places and how

That's ridiculous. 

So, once they're out of your sight, they should also be out of your mind? 

lovelove211
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I would say no as well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:39 AM
IMO, I can. They're both retired and always home. He chooses to take the truck. It would not be harder at all to take the car, its brand new too.
He's on dialysis and has diabetes. His eyes are shot to hell. It makes me nervous him driving with her at all. I feel she's a lot safer properly restrained in the back seat than in the front seat if he were to get in an accident.

Quoting .not.angel.:

Yes and no. You can't tell him what to drive. But I hope you're good without having a sitter that will pick your kid up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:41 AM
They are both retired (my in Laws). They have a 2012 Camry as well as the truck. He could drive that to pick her up any time he wishes. He has diabetes and is on dialysis, his eye sight is going. It makes me nervous enough that he's driving with her in the car, I feel she is safer in he backseat than in the front.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:41 AM

did i say, out of sight, out of mind? no, i said that the child isnt in your care- so what happens with that time frame, they arent your current responsibility. if you dont like what he drives- then stop having him babysit. thats your choice... but you cant inspect every car that she'll be in- daycare buses, city buses, school buses, taxi cabs, etc. i cannot say to my son's daycare that he isnt allowed to go on their bus b/c they dont have seatbelts and there's too many kids on one bus- which will make him want to play, more than just sit there and behave himself. its the teachers responsibility to ensure that all the students sit there while they drive to their destination. i cannot tell his father that he cannot take my son b/c he has a busted out window and who knows if the car will stall on the highway... i cannot tell my own father that he cannot take my son to his son's practices, games, etc- when he's watching my son- b/c he doesnt obey the seatbelt law and very rarely obeys the 'kids in teh backseat' law (he has a 4 door honda accord). often times, my son will ride in the front seat with my dad-- sure, i can say its not allowed and find myself a different sitter- which is what you will have to do... or i can accept that my dad is the responsible adult in the car and will make his own decisions based on it being his own car. same with jumping on the couches- i allow it here, but my dad doesnt. i wont tell my son he can jump on grandpa's couch since he does it at home... its my dad's home, my dad's decision. his car, his decision.. if you disqualify him from being a babysitter, then honestly- what is this post even about? he's not going to get a different car- you wont let your DD drive with him... so IMO, the issue has already been resolved. Leah will not be in Grandpa's car.

Quoting sissyboogs:

Quoting Anonymous:

That's ridiculous. 

So, once they're out of your sight, they should also be out of your mind? 

.not.angel.
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

IMO, I can. They're both retired and always home. He chooses to take the truck. It would not be harder at all to take the car, its brand new too.
He's on dialysis and has diabetes. His eyes are shot to hell. It makes me nervous him driving with her at all. I feel she's a lot safer properly restrained in the back seat than in the front seat if he were to get in an accident.

Quoting .not.angel.:

If he's REALLY that bad, you should be a good daughter in law and drive her over there yourself.

DaniDoll77
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:43 AM
You need a new babysitter. The truck is too dangerous. Your FIL is an asshole. Is your husband backing you up?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured