Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Vending machine change instead of lunch?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:49 AM
  • 14 Replies

My kids have been going to a science day camp at our local university this week.   

The kids were telling me that there was a boy the first couple of days who brought a baggies full of quarters and bought his whole lunch out of the vending machine.  I walk past these vending machines when I drop the kids off.. its just chips and packaged pastries and crap.  

Apparently the camp staff said something to the mom (as they should, imo!) about this 8/9 year old needing to bring better food.  

On Monday and Tuesday the kid age a bunch of crap out of the machines.  On Wednesday he brought a slice of pizza and a twinke in a plastic bag, and was complaining about being hungry after. 

Camp staff told mom that kid complained of being hungry all afternoon. 

Thursday (yesterday) kid shows up with a happy meal (at 9:15 in the morning...so the happy meal was purchased yesterday) and had room temp fries, cheese burger and juice.  It didn't feel like it had been refrigerated. (I was helping to get my kids, and some others settled and lunches put away, so I was the one to put his happy meal bag in the fridge at the school). 

Little boy spent all yesterday afternoon with a stomach ache. (Shock!)

Today I took an extra brown bag with a hummus sandwich, fruit, carrots and dip and juice and a snack and told the camp staff that they could give it to anyone who needed some extra lunch. 

Turns out, that was a good idea, because the kid showed up with leftover tacobell.  :( 

This kids family paid $119 for a week of camp, so im inclined to think that its not (just?) a money issue?  His clothes were clean and fit well.  Mom was dressed like she was going to work when she dropped him off... 

Im so confused about why someone would feed their kid like that?

Do you feed your kids that way?  Would you have sent an extra lunch?  How would you feel if it was your kid that ate that extra lunch I sent? 

Lauren & Cara MOMS of SIX great kids!!! 

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Bryant1201
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Thats sad. :( I would never send my son to school with that junk.

cherrywaves21
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
So y'all didn't like the way he was being fed? How do you know his food was refridgerated? Seriously the mom could've pulled it out when they where getting ready in the morning. You are making alot of assumptions. His stomach didn't hurt because of the junk it's used to it so in a little shocked at your shock.

I highly doubt a child that eats taco bell and mc Donald's is going to eat hummus. While I do feel bad that there isn't more variety and healthy choices it's not your place to feed him. Who knows maybe its a special treat to whatever he wants at camp?

No I wouldn't let my child eat like that on daily basis. I would tell you to mind your business and not to bother bringing him lunch. Seeing as you don't know what if anything he's allergic to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebcarroll
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:56 AM

It may be that mom thinks this  is all the kid  will eat.  Or she thinks that there is not time in the morning to make lunch, so she has left overs from the night before.  Yeah, not the most nutrious things in the world, and definatley a stomache ache in the making, but also not my kid.  If someone sent a lunch for my child I would be embarrassed.  And it may be money issue.  $119 for  a week of camp is WAY cheaper than a week of daycare.  In the grand scheme of things, he will survive, he is eating, not the healthiest, but you cannot make another person do anything.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM

This kids family paid $119 for a week of camp, so im inclined to think that its not (just?) a money issue?  His clothes were clean and fit well.  Mom was dressed like she was going to work when she dropped him off... 

Im so confused about why someone would feed their kid like that?

Do you feed your kids that way?  Would you have sent an extra lunch?  How would you feel if it was your kid that ate that extra lunch I sent?

That is cheap for a week of daycare. I have no idea why she is making his lunch maybe it is cheaper to give him the quarters or pick up the stuff than buy bread, lunch meat, snacks etc. I think its very nice you sent an extra lunch. I think of that as paying it forward and hope other would do the same. I would not send my child without a packed lunch,BUT I dont have money problems or time constraints. I honestly dont know his families story so I wont judge them.  If I saw as you di I would send an extra lunch also. If I was having trouble and my child got the extra lunch I would be thankful.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I think the mom is probably just too lazy to pack him a lunch and thinks fast food is a good substitute.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Maybe he got a scholarship for the camp.
sarahfire
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Maybe she can barely afford the 119 a week and cannot afford groceries. Maybe she doesn't have time to make a lunch, some kids won't eat sandwiches and other typical lunch stuff. I'd ask her if there is anything she may need help with, a lot of people feel embarrassed they don't have money for basic needs, maybe she is just trying to make it on her own. I try not to judge. And I agree with the poster who said that kid probably won't eat hummus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshinebebe26
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I think it was nice of you to send a extra lunch , maybe the kid likes junk??? IDK i really never have a logical answer to the why do people do shit like this questions...

sarahfire
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:09 PM
That's not way cheaper than daycare where I live.....daycare would be cheaper than that for an 8 yr old.

Quoting bebcarroll:

It may be that mom thinks this  is all the kid  will eat.  Or she thinks that there is not time in the morning to make lunch, so she has left overs from the night before.  Yeah, not the most nutrious things in the world, and definatley a stomache ache in the making, but also not my kid.  If someone sent a lunch for my child I would be embarrassed.  And it may be money issue.  $119 for  a week of camp is WAY cheaper than a week of daycare.  In the grand scheme of things, he will survive, he is eating, not the healthiest, but you cannot make another person do anything.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Lots of questions.  Maybe some people who couldn't afford the camp got scholarshiped in? And she still can't afford the lunch? I think it takes a village so I would have brought an extra lunch too. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)