Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Working Moms Mean Overweight Kids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 105 Replies
(Health.com) — Over the past 35 years, the percentage of U.S. mothers who hold down a job while raising kids has soared, from less than 50% to more than 70%. The childhood obesity rate—which is now close to 17%—has more than tripled during the same time frame.

These overlapping trends may not be a coincidence. The longer a mother is employed, the more likely her children are to be overweight or obese, a new study of grade-schoolers published in the journal Child Development suggests.

For each additional five-month period his or her mother is employed, a child of average height can be expected to gain 1 extra pound over and above normal growth, the study estimates. In addition, sixth graders with working mothers were found to be six times more likely than those with stay-at-home moms to be overweight.

Are your kids overweight? Do you work or stay at home?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I am a SAHM and my kids are no where near overweight.  I think this idea is bogus and ridiculous.  Kids are overweight for a number of reasons and each one is specific to that particular family.  My mom was a working mom and I wasn't overweight until well into puberty and even then I wasn't more than 20 pounds over as a teenager.  I think kids eat too much while sitting around.  When I was young I was allowed to go outside and play, and be very active.  I think the problem is the Mom and not whether she stays home or works.  You can encourage a healthy lifestyle in your kids whether you work at home or outside the home.

Trisha234
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM
8 moms liked this
Women just can't win. Now childhood obesity is being blamed on working moms. Sheesh!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemom1208
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I work and ds isn't overweight
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamadrama15
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I'm a working mom and my child is not overweight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Interesting, I work full time and my kids eat super healthy but I know plenty of colleagues that get dinner from a window on the way home due to convenience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegansmom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Actually, when i was a SAHM the ped commented on my DD's weight.  Now, I work & she has lost 2 lbs & grown 4 inches.  Since I work, I don't have time to feed her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM
They claim studies show children of working moms are more likely to be overweight. That doesn't mean children of stay at home moms are immune.

Quoting Trisha234:

Women just can't win. Now childhood obesity is being blamed on working moms. Sheesh!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM
That is a good point.

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

Interesting, I work full time and my kids eat super healthy but I know plenty of colleagues that get dinner from a window on the way home due to convenience.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I can kinda see why they would be.  If mom isnt there to watch what they are eating or control how much they eat then I can see that being a reason they are overweight.

Kylie819
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM
I work and my DD is nowhere near overweight. She's in great shape.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN