Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What Punishment is Appropriate?

Recently in the news I read a story about a school bus monitor who was bullied to tears by middle-schoolers.The article and 10-minute bullying video can be found here: 

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/bullied-york-bus-monitor-retire-a-million-dollars-article-1.1101193

Over a half-million dollars was raised as compensation for the woman. My question is this- how do we punish the bullying children? What punishment would be appropriate and effective? Also, how would you respond if one of the bullies were YOUR child?

by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
woodit2u
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Public apology and community service, particularly around and for the struggling elderly.

BannerElkHogans
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I would send my son to military school for a semester so he could learn some respect.

Emilytrademark
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I agree that it is not always the parent's fault. A lot of children's behavior stems from what they learn from their peers, in school, on TV, etc.  It's hard to know because we do not know how these children were raised, so it's hard to blame this on the parents without knowing more. That being said, I believe the parents should take serios steps to modify behavior like this, and of course- do their best to try and prevent bullying behavior.

Quoting PestPatti:

I disagree with you and it has NOTHING to do with what they have been taught.  Kids DONT always follow what they are taught.  If they did we wouldnt have Teen Mom or The Juvenile Justice system.

Quoting NikiSellers0806:

Riiiiight. My kids would know better because I have TAUGHT them better. It is a parenting fail, dont try to church it up. The way kids behave is a direct reflection of their parents and how they are raised. Any kid that has such a lack of respect for authority and exhibits malicious behavior like those kids did obviously has no boundaries and has never been taught better.

Quoting PestPatti:

Why is it always the parents fault.    Some kids are just dumbasses, and it has NOTHING to do with their parents.   

Quoting NikiSellers0806:

Public apology, expulsion and sent to an alternative school. Maybe even a week in juvenile detention to show them where they could end up if they continue this kind of behavior. CPS needs to evaluate the parents, there is obviously a lack of parenting going on somewhere.

angelbears
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I would really like to see some sort of punishment for the "parents" in this situation. Anyone raising children capable of doing that....sigh. As for the kids, I would say a nice long summer of volunteering in a senior center might be a start.

BannerElkHogans
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

you can teach your child everything that is good an right in this world ,but it ultimately comes down to them choosing an knowing whats right an whats wrong.......an well most people do whats easy ,but not necessarily whats right!

Dextons_Mommy
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I saw that video, I couldn't finish it because it upset me so much. I endured similar torture in school, so I felt really bad for her. It's even worse that they show no respect for adults. If it was my child rhat did that, I would be furious. I don't know what I would do I guess it would depend on what punishments work best for my child, however, it would start would with a public apology to the woman. Had it been me, my parents would have grounded me and taken away all privileges. I would go to school, and come home and do homework, and that's all I'd get to do. No TV, no phone, no computer, no friends, nothing. And they would have probably made me do some type of house/yard work for the lady. So I suppose I'd probably go that route. It's so sad that kids act like this these days. No respect for anyone.
mistyinlove
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:44 PM

i wouldnt want anyone else punishing my child, but my child would have been taken care of at home! nuff said

rmfanfgljf
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:51 PM
I think a public appology and community service until they "pay" back the amount raised for compensation, since they didn't help raise the money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goodmama85
by Diamond Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:54 PM

i agree

Quoting dietsunkist:

I think they should have to apologize publicly to her in person (not their parents). I doubt thy still think they did anything wrong

Marti123
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this
If my child did something like this:

1) make him apologize to the woman, and the school.

2) I would re-evaluate my work schedule and most likely find a job that allowed me to transport my own child to & from school, since he demonstrated that he cannot be around peers unsupervised.

3) never leave him unattended around peers for a good 6 months, meaning sleep-overs, etc, he's have to earn that privledge back.

4) he would lose all luxuries, paticularly all social media, fun Internet, probably for a year.

5) he would have write something every week about helping others and research the effects of bullying and others' feelings, until i feel hhails done. If he was in significant sports activities, I would pull him from practice until these writings would be done.

6) I would increase the entire families' activities in church, missions, and volunteering.

I hope I am never found in that situation!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)