Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

More than all my bills combined.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

I was checking out the website healthcare.gov (Thanks cafemom for that video). Well on there they have a find"affordable" insurance close to you option and give you other options of obtaining insurance. Which of course includes get insurance through work, get personal insurance, use low cost care clinics, and there was one more option. Anyways, We already do the affordable clinic thing, so I "learned more" about the affordable healthcare options. I first did it with just my husband and it was $200 a month. Then I was like well what if I did my whole family. All of them were $900+. That is Rent, electric, and car insurance for me. How in the heck is that affordable. Oh and it has a chance of being a higher rate if there are any health issues. Affordable my ass.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherhalf
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Is this the insurance you'll be required to buy when that part of healthcare reform kicks in?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ClassyMom619
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:50 AM

That's ridiculous. It's sad that in this day and age so many people still can't get basic healthcare. Sucks

reesesami
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Insurance is super expensive. Even when you get it through work, it can still be expensive if your employer only pays half.

But where do you live that your bills are that low? Our rent is $1900 for a three bedroom, two bath house and we're getting a deal because we're renting from friends....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Not sure. If it is. Then I am screwed.

Quoting anotherhalf:

Is this the insurance you'll be required to buy when that part of healthcare reform kicks in?

PTmomma3
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Funny, I got on there the other night and bought a policy for our family of 5 for $327/month. I picked this policy out of 15 different plans that ranged from $275 to $985/month based on what kind of coverage we wanted, deductible, co-insurance, drug plan, etc. Weird that you were only given one option to choose from.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM

It wasn't one option. The cheapest started at $900 and went up from there.

Quoting PTmomma3:

Funny, I got on there the other night and bought a policy for our family of 5 for $327/month. I picked this policy out of 15 different plans that ranged from $275 to $985/month based on what kind of coverage we wanted, deductible, co-insurance, drug plan, etc. Weird that you were only given one option to choose from.

PTmomma3
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Do any of you have pre-existing conditions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM
I've looked before too and saw the same for a family of 5. My russian father in law is coming to visit and he has late stage prostate cancer. His was 1200/mo. But yes where do u live??? My mortgage is 1500 and car insurance and electric is another 350! Not to mention car payments, gas, cell,internet lol u should check somewhere else tho because a lot of plans r less than 500/mo

Quoting PTmomma3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Not sure. If it is. Then I am screwed.

Quoting anotherhalf:

From what I have read this is one of the things that "Obama" care is to address.Drive down the cost of insurance and the option of denying certain test and proccedures. Which is why insurance companies hate it, they will lose profits!

Drive down how much doctors and insurance companies can charge and break the ties they have to one another, like kickbacks. Which is why doctors hate it, it will means they will only made $150,000 a year instead of $250,000...Poor doctors :(

If people really understood what this is all about they wouldn't be as opposed to it. Many other countries..Canada, The U.K for instance have a system that while not perfect it is much better than what we have here. This is what Obama care was modeled after but so many cuts and changes demanded by Republicans made it not worth doing. We need a system like they have in the U.K.

shoot4thestars
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I agree how ridiculous that is.  For me $900/mo is almost double what I pay for my mortgage electric and car insurance.  I am so grateful for my husband's work insurance.  His work's health insurance includes everything and is ridiculously affordable.  But the only problem is he works for a union and they redo contracts every few years and it was almost taken away this year.  We have another 2 and a half years until they redo contracts and I pray everyday that they don't take this health insurance away. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)