Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Buying a new cell phone.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

A few months ago I got a droid from ntelos. I hate the phone and next month I want to buy an iPhone 4S. 

It says with a 2 year contract I can get it for 150. So my question is if I'm not due for an upgrade, can I still get it for 150? I really don't want to pay 600 dollars for the phone but my droid sucks lol 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Ive never heard of that company, so I don't know anything about them.
That sounds like a warranty issue. Does your phone have a warranty? You should be able to get a replacement if your phone doesn't have physical damage. If the replacement does the same thing you might be able to opt for a different make and model that is in the same level of your phone (at least going off of how AT&T does it).
If you can't get a replacement, look on places like Craigslist, eBay, etc. You might find a phone cheaper than what you can get through your company.

Quoting Anonymous:

I get what youre saying. In with ntelos but I personally feel like its BS because this phone is horrible. It calls random people in my contacts, turns off and on randomly, freezes up, the screen goes black when I try to use the dial pad.....ugh so many problems. I just want it gone!

Quoting RissyLee:

Why is it bs? Do you think people should get the discounted price whenever they want a new phone? Every month? Every 6 months?

Quoting KairisMama:

I know through ATT you have to be due for an upgrade to get the good price. Its BS Imo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM
I think waiting 18 months to upgrade your phone is BS. Why must customers wait that long to get a new phone without being financially raped? A phone really gets old and outdated by then. I cannot stand my old phone but still have 3 mos until I can get rid of it.

Quoting RissyLee:

Why is it bs? Do you think people should get the discounted price whenever they want a new phone? Every month? Every 6 months?

Quoting KairisMama:

I know through ATT you have to be due for an upgrade to get the good price. Its BS Imo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM
You have other options. You can buy a phone from Craigslist, eBay, amazon, etc. You can sell your current phone and put that towards the cost of getting a new phone. You can only ever buy phones at full retail cost and never get a contract, and then buy a new phone whenever you want and sell your old one.
You don't have to have a contract if you don't like them. You can go with a smaller company that doesn't even do contracts and buy a phone from them.
A phone will easily work for 18 months. If you want a fancy new phone before you're eligible for an upgrade and your company basically hands you a new phone at a free or very discounted cost, then you have to pay the extra money.
Next time you buy a phone, do a little research on the phone you want to make sure you actually know what you want and that you won't hate it before you can get a new one.
Quoting KairisMama:

I think waiting 18 months to upgrade your phone is BS. Why must customers wait that long to get a new phone without being financially raped? A phone really gets old and outdated by then. I cannot stand my old phone but still have 3 mos until I can get rid of it.

Quoting RissyLee:

Quoting KairisMama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy092011
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 5:24 PM
If its not time to upgrade you will have to pay full retail price
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM
I don't mind the contract or Att. Id never leave ATT, for i get free mobil to mobil and everyone i know has ATT. I simply wish upgrades came along every year. I honestly would switch my phone once a year to better if ATT would allow it. Phones outdate so fast. I dont get why they don't. Hell They would get more money out of me. Lol

Quoting RissyLee:

You have other options. You can buy a phone from Craigslist, eBay, amazon, etc. You can sell your current phone and put that towards the cost of getting a new phone. You can only ever buy phones at full retail cost and never get a contract, and then buy a new phone whenever you want and sell your old one.
You don't have to have a contract if you don't like them. You can go with a smaller company that doesn't even do contracts and buy a phone from them.
A phone will easily work for 18 months. If you want a fancy new phone before you're eligible for an upgrade and your company basically hands you a new phone at a free or very discounted cost, then you have to pay the extra money.
Next time you buy a phone, do a little research on the phone you want to make sure you actually know what you want and that you won't hate it before you can get a new one.
Quoting KairisMama:

Quoting RissyLee:

Quoting KairisMama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM
I'm sure it all has to do with money. AT&T (and every other phone company) makes more money off of insurance, warranty, and early upgrades than they would if they allowed yearly upgrades. They used to allow the main line on family plans upgrade at 12 months for customers that paid so much money a month or had been customers for a certain length of time, but idk if they do that anymore.

Quoting KairisMama:

I don't mind the contract or Att. Id never leave ATT, for i get free mobil to mobil and everyone i know has ATT. I simply wish upgrades came along every year. I honestly would switch my phone once a year to better if ATT would allow it. Phones outdate so fast. I dont get why they don't. Hell They would get more money out of me. Lol

Quoting RissyLee:

Quoting KairisMama:

Quoting RissyLee:

Quoting KairisMama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:21 PM

the samsung galaxy s3 is coming out and if you get it, it'll be the best phone you'll ever have. 

the next best phone out there is the htc one x.  

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

depending on how long you've had this phone, i would send it back.  some phones have inherent hhardware problems and if it's within the warranty, you can get it fixed or get a new one.

Quoting Anonymous:

I get what youre saying. In with ntelos but I personally feel like its BS because this phone is horrible. It calls random people in my contacts, turns off and on randomly, freezes up, the screen goes black when I try to use the dial pad.....ugh so many problems. I just want it gone!

Quoting RissyLee:

Quoting KairisMama:

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

andreahm
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

no unless its time for an upgrade you dont get the special price.

CafeMom Tickers
itsm3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM

the reason why they do this is for company (financial) security.  those devices cost a lot of money and the company puts up a lot of money to acquire those devices.  sometimes they have to pay certain premiums for "exclusive" rights for hot-ticket phones (ie. new iphone, samsung galaxy s3 etc etc).  

mobile companies make their money on monthly service fees and add-ons (packages, service add-ons etc).  while they provide the device to customers for more than half of the cost (ie. under a 2 or 3yr term), they make you wait (for 18mos) until they're able to recover the delta for the price at which they sold it to you. this is why they lock you in a contract for X years to prevent you from leaving and they do this to protect themselves from losses from customers who will just leave within a year after acquiring the device for a low cost.

some carriers no longer make you wait X months to get another phone but if you're doing it outside of your eligiblity window, you have to pay back the "balance owing" or the delta of the value of the phone.  

Quoting KairisMama:

Quoting RissyLee:

Quoting KairisMama:

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN