Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

keeping kids cool

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
I'm kind of worried, were going to be driving a long distance this week with our 11 month old, 2 seperate vehicles. We just drove home from the store maybe 15-20 minutes away with the Ac blaring and by the time we got home DS was red and sweaty already, he was in just a onsie, the windows are tinted and I have those sun blockers up, and I know it wasn't hitting him cause 90% of the drive was in the shade and I was watching him in the mirror (he is rf but has a mirror on the headres of the seat and I can see him in it using the mirror on the sun visor... DH was driving) how do I keep him cool during our 20+ hour trip??
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I'd say FF but your child is too young. Unfortunately my son always sweat really bad in the car too. Nothing really helped, unless it was nice enough that the windows could be open.

mamadrama15
by Vmama on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Maybe a cool bath before? Ice pack? Or rag?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Ya I don't plan to FF him for at least another year.... It's supposed to be like 100+ the entire trip plus I don't like having windows open with him because it makes it hard for him to breath sometimes (he had lung issues when he was born) and we'll be driving like 70 mph since we'll be on the interstate almost the entire way, and my hair doesnt stay in a ponytail so I wouldn't be able to see anything lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd say FF but your child is too young. Unfortunately my son always sweat really bad in the car too. Nothing really helped, unless it was nice enough that the windows could be open.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:56 PM

It's a 20 hour drive so the bath would only work for a little while (if it did work) and I wouldnt want him getting sick from cool bath than being in AC, when ever there's a chance of someone getting sick especially during traveling, it almost never fails. I may be able to do a cooled, damp rag if I can get it to where he won't pull it out and play with it and just dampen it whenever we stop? 

Quoting mamadrama15:

mamadrama15
by Vmama on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Well take a small ice chest and you can dip it in there. Just an idea. We did that when we went to sea world. Kept dipping it in there. Helped us out.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's a 20 hour drive so the bath would only work for a little while (if it did work) and I wouldnt want him getting sick from cool bath than being in AC, when ever there's a chance of someone getting sick especially during traveling, it almost never fails. I may be able to do a cooled, damp rag if I can get it to where he won't pull it out and play with it and just dampen it whenever we stop? 

Quoting mamadrama15:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:01 PM

We left ours at my moms our last move and don't have the money for one.. I have a small lunch cooler for his milk with reusable ice packs...
 I was thinking maybe just rinse it at rest stop in cold water, and try finding a place to put it that won't soak his seat and that he can't pull it out of? 

Quoting mamadrama15:

Well take a small ice chest and you can dip it in there. Just an idea. We did that when we went to sea world. Kept dipping it in there. Helped us out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mamadrama15:

mamadrama15
by Vmama on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM
Sounds like a good plan with what ya have available to you. Good luck on your trip!

Quoting Anonymous:

We left ours at my moms our last move and don't have the money for one.. I have a small lunch cooler for his milk with reusable ice packs...
 I was thinking maybe just rinse it at rest stop in cold water, and try finding a place to put it that won't soak his seat and that he can't pull it out of? 

Quoting mamadrama15:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mamadrama15:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:07 PM

If the AC is on keeping the car cool and hes not in the sun, he should be just fine. He might have been hot since it was a shorter drive so the car didn't really have time to cool down yet. You dont want to put something really cold on him, it can shock his body and give him frost bite in the area that its touching, but take a cooler of cool to lukewarm, not cold, water and a rag, if he gets hot, put a cool rag on his feet and the back of his head, thats where the body releases and takes in the surrounding temperature.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM
The car was cooled already when he got in it, we went in the store for like 5 minutes and DH stayed outside with it running :/
It wouldn't be super cold since most rest stop bathrooms the water doesn't get too cold we don't have a spare cooler for water to be kept in.. hell pull them off his head and feet so i have to find somewhere he can't do that... I was going to kind of wipe him down a little at rest stops but well only be stopping about every 3-4 hours... I'm going to def make sure I keep fluids going into him too.

Quoting LucyHarper:

If the AC is on keeping the car cool and hes not in the sun, he should be just fine. He might have been hot since it was a shorter drive so the car didn't really have time to cool down yet. You dont want to put something really cold on him, it can shock his body and give him frost bite in the area that its touching, but take a cooler of cool to lukewarm, not cold, water and a rag, if he gets hot, put a cool rag on his feet and the back of his head, thats where the body releases and takes in the surrounding temperature.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured