Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Idgaf what ANYBODY says..ETA

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I will NEVER think its okay for CHILDREN to GO HUNTING!! I think its a disgrace to teach a 5 yr old how to hold a gun to shoot a deer than hang him from a tree to skin it!
It is disturbing when I see a child on t.v CRYING because "she didnt get to kill a deer today!"
I am NOT talking about those that are farmers or those that eat only thier raised crops and meats to feed the family. Im talking about families that make hunting a SPORT and think its okay to bring your babies and small children along for the ride while you kill innocent animals JUST so u can hang it on your wall! It's a DISGRACE!!!

5 yr olds should be learning to love our animals..not begging to let daddy let him kill it!

Eta: you can save your long speeches on the benefits of hunting for ANOTHER post that's titled "I hate hunting". But for THIS post I simply said that i dont agree with bringing SMALL CHILDREN WITH ADULTS HUNTING. While i dont agree with sport hunting PERIOD...It disgusts me even FURTHER for children to partake in it.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:13 PM
Replies (61-70):
southern.momof2
by Pirate on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Ok, you are entitled to your opinion. We are a hunting family and that meat provides for at least 50% of all our meals, all year long. Our children go hunting because we want them to be able to provide for their families.

indyb
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM

We let them start hunting around 10,  but it's not for sport we eat all the deer that we shoot and I don't really care whether you think it's wrong or not!

4given4ever
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM

my DH and I were just discussing that it's time for our 8 yo to be taught how to handle a gun and shoot one at the range or maybe out in the desert :) I personally don't judge other people who want to do teach their kids hunting as a sport. We wouldn't have any inclinations but we like to fish and throw them back if we don't plan on eating it. Why do you care so much about something you have no control over? Why not put that energy into being a foster family for injured animals or something worthwhile? Oh well good luck with your post hope it changes the world one click at a time :)

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Right?! Those small children should be by themselves bringing home the venison. If you are big enough to pee in the woods, you are big enough to shoot in the woods.

Seriously though, as long as everyone is being safe and the child is being supervised properly, what is the problem? Shouldn't a child know where their food comes from or is it better for them to think that chicken just magically appears in the grocer's freezer?

Quoting Anonymous:

Eta: you can save your long speeches on the benefits of hunting for ANOTHER post that's titled "I hate hunting". But for THIS post I simply said that i dont agree with bringing SMALL CHILDREN WITH ADULTS HUNTING. While i dont agree with sport hunting PERIOD...It disgusts me even FURTHER for children to partake in it.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:57 PM

lol. I would take you seriously but you are hiding behind anon so I wont. 

southern.momof2
by Pirate on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:01 PM
3 moms liked this

Umm, yes. We hunt so we don't starve. We have hit hard times during lay offs or jobs closing and we were so thankful for that meat we had in the freezer and the garden in the back yard. My children will learn how to provide for themselves and their families during hard times. Should I teach them how to go to the welfare office instead? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ColieO:

Teaching them to be self sufficient is just such a horrible thing. Gosh, II can't see why ANYONE would want their children to know how to kill their own dinner.

And no,I don't hunt. But really, you can't figure that out?

Quoting Anonymous:

Taking your children hunting is something that I will never understand.  It makes me ill to hear little children brag about killing something. It also makes me ill to see them pose with a dead animal.  I just don't get it. What possible reason could parents have to be okay with this?  Its not like you are teaching your child to hunt and gather food.  And even if you do eat the dead animal, why is it necessary to let your child pose with it first?

I am smart enough to know that in the year 2012 it is very unlikely that they are teaching their children to hunt so they wont starve.  I gave my opionion on a public forum, nothing more, nothing less.

lynndinski
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM
My whole family must be a disgrace then.

I am an avid hunter, and (except for this year due to my pregnancy) have been hunting since before I can remember.
When I was a toddler my dad actually put me in a camo-back pack carrier and took me with him in the woods when he went hunting.
Gun safety and respect for the environment has always been, and is for most people that hunt, a number one priority.
I started shooting a (child size) bow when I was 4, and got a Red Ryder BB gun for my 7th birthday. (No, I did not shoot my eye out.)
We eat what we kill in our family, but we also hang heads and other mounts on the wall, and I see nothing wrong with that. While hunting is a way to provide food for ourselves, it's also something we take pride in, and have a lot of fun doing.
For the record, hunting does not mean I don't also love animals. In the past I've donated to animal wild life charities, and I believe most of the conservation charities are ran by the "disgraceful" sportsmen and women you speak of.

Me and my dad with Thanksgiving Dinner.
miss_lisa
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this
My dad always jokes that if civilization collapses he wants DH and I to come live with him. He's got a massive garden and DH and I hunt and fish. DH also reloads his own ammo.

Quoting ColieO:

It's a good skill. Whether it's starve or not. You have no idea what could happen tomorrow.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ColieO:

Teaching them to be self sufficient is just such a horrible thing. Gosh, II can't see why ANYONE would want their children to know how to kill their own dinner.

And no,I don't hunt. But really, you can't figure that out?

Quoting Anonymous:

Taking your children hunting is something that I will never understand.  It makes me ill to hear little children brag about killing something. It also makes me ill to see them pose with a dead animal.  I just don't get it. What possible reason could parents have to be okay with this?  Its not like you are teaching your child to hunt and gather food.  And even if you do eat the dead animal, why is it necessary to let your child pose with it first?

I am smart enough to know that in the year 2012 it is very unlikely that they are teaching their children to hunt so they wont starve.  I gave my opionion on a public forum, nothing more, nothing less.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lynndinski
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Oh, and in response to your ETA- I think there are benefits of starting at a young age as well.
littleacorn
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
My family (right now just dh, but the children will learn when they are tweens) hunts for meat and they all are learning to garden, fish, and forage for wild edibles as well (in addition to various cooking techniques, couponing, and smart shopping). There have been MANY times our family of 5-6 has had under $50 a MONTH for food. When I was younger, my family of 3 had as little as $5 a month for food. With the skills dh and I possess and which we are teaching our children, we will never go hungry and they won't either, no matter WHAT struggles their future might hold. Personally, I think it is more than slightly irresponsible for non-vegetarian families to NOT teach their children to hunt and/or raise animals for food!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

Many families do teach hunting as a skill for survival.

Quoting Anonymous:

Survival from what exactly?  And I would care to bet these same parents are to lazy to teach their kids how to garden.  In the year of 2012 that would serve as a better skill I would think.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)