Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

2 1/2 year old has her first dentist appointment.

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM
  • 14 Replies
Tomorrow morning at 7:45am my daughter has her very first dentist appointment.
I'm a little worried, she doesn't do good with sitting still. I know she won't want them to look into her mouth and I can see it escalating fast.
I'm scared that it will scare of dentists.
Do they give them anything to calm down? I don't want to unless necessary but I'm a little worried...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dinimon
by NoCookiesForYou on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Anyone? Please?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soontobemommie3
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:53 PM
They don't do much scary at this age. I was concerned when I took my daughter in April. She was 2 and a half as well. She did better than I expected! GL!

They let her play with the water/air/brushy thing so that she wasn't scared. They also allowed her to sit on my lap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD sat in my lap during her first dental visit. It all went very well.

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I took my kids prior to two, but the first couple of times they had them sit on my lap, showed them how everything worked and "counted their teeth".  The kids loved it and especially if it's a pediatric practice, they know how to help kids relax.

Don't sweat it :)

cryssi_renee
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:55 PM
I took my DS when he turned 3. He refused to get in the chair. They went ahead and cleaned mine hoping he would want to after he saw me. He stood in the corner and cried saying "I want my mommy to get up." He did open his mouth and let them take a quick glance while I was holding him. They said just to keep bringing him back when I get mine cleaned. They said they are used to kids doing that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vboatner
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:57 PM

DS2 just went a few months ago for his first visit. They had him sit on my lap towards me and then lay back on his lap. He actually did really well considering that before they came in the room, I could not get his little ass to sit still for the life of me!!

Dinimon
by NoCookiesForYou on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM
It is. I'm still worried, lol. I know shell be fine, I'm just scared she will end up being scared of dentist.

Quoting lwalker270:

I took my kids prior to two, but the first couple of times they had them sit on my lap, showed them how everything worked and "counted their teeth".  The kids loved it and especially if it's a pediatric practice, they know how to help kids relax.

Don't sweat it :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dinimon
by NoCookiesForYou on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Maybe they can catch her interest and keep her still then..

Quoting vboatner:

DS2 just went a few months ago for his first visit. They had him sit on my lap towards me and then lay back on his lap. He actually did really well considering that before they came in the room, I could not get his little ass to sit still for the life of me!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dinimon
by NoCookiesForYou on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Good. She loves playing with equipment, lol.

Quoting soontobemommie3:

They don't do much scary at this age. I was concerned when I took my daughter in April. She was 2 and a half as well. She did better than I expected! GL!

They let her play with the water/air/brushy thing so that she wasn't scared. They also allowed her to sit on my lap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vboatner
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I know the ones here are really awesome. They tell them what they are doing and talk to them the whole time. They let him play with his tooth brush while they cleaned his teeth and they let him hold the water sucker thingy too.

Quoting Dinimon:

Maybe they can catch her interest and keep her still then..

Quoting vboatner:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)