Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

2 1/2 year old has her first dentist appointment.

Posted by   + Show Post
Tomorrow morning at 7:45am my daughter has her very first dentist appointment.
I'm a little worried, she doesn't do good with sitting still. I know she won't want them to look into her mouth and I can see it escalating fast.
I'm scared that it will scare of dentists.
Do they give them anything to calm down? I don't want to unless necessary but I'm a little worried...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Replies (11-14):
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Quoting Dinimon:

It is. I'm still worried, lol. I know shell be fine, I'm just scared she will end up being scared of dentist.

Quoting lwalker270:

I took my kids prior to two, but the first couple of times they had them sit on my lap, showed them how everything worked and "counted their teeth".  The kids loved it and especially if it's a pediatric practice, they know how to help kids relax.

Don't sweat it :)

She'll probably end up loving it.  My youngest LOVES to go to the dentist and the first time he went he cried so hard, he passed out right in my lap (he did that a lot at that age though).  They were really calm about it and said just to bring him back again.

Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Is she seeing a pediatric dentist because they will totally expect and prepare for those kind of reactions. A dentist who doesn't really work with kids often would have a pretty hard time lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Greenenvy
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:25 PM

All of my kids had their first dentist visit on their first birthdays. They do not do anything scary so I am sure she will be fine. Just remember to keep your stress level down and act like it is normal casual not a big deal day to day stuff so she doesn't feed off of your anxiety.

tginn20
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM

My DS went when he was 3 and freaked out (he has sensory issues) so we made him another appt bc he was soooo upset. Well my DH ended up taking him that time. They asked my DH to leave the room and my DS freaked so bad that he bit the dentists finger and wouldn't let go until DH came back in. Needless to say, we were always in the room after that! LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)