Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't wait to prove him wrong!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Last Friday DH comes home and asks why there is a cable up in our backyard. I had no clue. I didn't put a cable up. But apparently a neighbor down the street put it up claiming that half of our backyard is his. DH and I are ticked! This guy did NOT get a surveyor. He just measured things out according to his (outdated) deed. The land was purchased in 2005, our house was built in 2006 and we bought it and moved in May 2007. Anyway, so now we have to get a surveyor which is gonna cost quite a bit. One guy gave me quote for $650 and my mom is going to talk to another guy and get a quote from him (he charges $85 per hour). So the only way to prove that we own the property behind the neighbor in the 1st pic is to get everything surveyed by a professional. And I can't wait to prove this idiot wrong. Here are some pics that show just how much of our property he is trying to claim.

You can kinda see the cable going through the middle of the pic. That is literally right off of our sidewalk. Our property ends somewhere past the tree that you see on the right. We're not exactly sure where though. But you can see where the grass gets taller is how far my DH mows it. This guy is ridiculous! That's literally half of our backyard. And no, all that junk around the tree is not ours. It belongs to our neighbors.

I can step off of our sidewalk and touch the cable.

The private property sign in front of the electricity pole is ours but the one hanging from the cable is the one the guy put up. His cable touches the pole then angles in toward our yard even more. Enough so that it includes my DD's tomato plant that her and DH planted last week.

And here is another pic to give a good idea of our yard. There's still a big chunk to the left I didn't take a pic of though. But hopefully by the end of the week we will have this mess settled. But I just had to vent because I feel like I'm going to explode.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM

No, he just bought the property from family. But apparently he's done stuff like this everywhere he's ever lived. My DH has talk to people who know him and we're not the first ones he's done this to.

Quoting baquick:

Make sure you take him to small claims if he won't pay for it. Did y'all have an argument lately that sparked him putting up the cable? Make sure you document and record everything.

Also call the city. Let them know there is a property dispute and request the blueprints for you house (original plus and remodeling you or previous owners may have done) and it should show the property line.
They might even send out a surveyor.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think I'll be having a talk with DH when he comes home. It's not fair that we have to pay. And with DH's work our getting cut this past month, we really can't afford it right now. And I'm not sure how much acreage it is. My mom took the deed with her so I can't look at the moment. But I'm kinda curious now. LOL

Quoting baquick:

He needs to pay for the surveyor. He is the one disputing it. On you deed how much acreage does it say you have? (just curious) ugh people are jerks. He could have just called you and talked to you about it.

mommy5912
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM

because according to his deed that he got when he bought his house it says that it is his property.(at least that is what I got from the post) but either way he believes it is his property and if you disagree that it is his and instead that property belongs to you then one of you need to be able to approve it, but since he put up the cable and you want it down you will now have to prove that it is your property and not his...

I went through this a few months ago...My neighbor put up a fence and she put up the fence 10 feet onto my property, but since neither one of us ever had a survey done I was made to leave up her fence until i got a surveyor out here and proved that it was my property at that point I then had to take the paper work from the surveyor to the town and show the town that it was my property...The town then sent her a letter demanding her to remove the fence in 10 days and if she didn't then I could move it, but if I moved it I could not damage it in anyway or i was held liable for the damage...So my suggestion would be to have your property surveyed and have that paper work brought in to the town and have them make him remove the cable if he is not willing to remove it himself..It becomes a civil matter and a property line disagreement...

Quoting lexismama11:

I've never been through this so I don't know how it works. This may be a stupid question but how can he legally put it up without proving its his property?

Quoting mommy5912:

I just went through this....She legally can not take it down until she proves it is her property and she legally can not keep his stuff even if it is proven to be her property

Quoting Anonymous:

DH is keeping the cable and the sign. Teach the idiot to not put things on other people's property!

Quoting lexismama11:

I would take his cable down!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Bump
mommy5912
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM

small claims won't make him pay for your survey....You both are disagreeing where the property line is....the only way a court will make him pay you back is if you can prove that he without a  doubt he knew that wasn't his property and he did it anyways....and that is hard to prove especially if his deed read that is it his property.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, he just bought the property from family. But apparently he's done stuff like this everywhere he's ever lived. My DH has talk to people who know him and we're not the first ones he's done this to.

Quoting baquick:

Make sure you take him to small claims if he won't pay for it. Did y'all have an argument lately that sparked him putting up the cable? Make sure you document and record everything.

Also call the city. Let them know there is a property dispute and request the blueprints for you house (original plus and remodeling you or previous owners may have done) and it should show the property line.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think I'll be having a talk with DH when he comes home. It's not fair that we have to pay. And with DH's work our getting cut this past month, we really can't afford it right now. And I'm not sure how much acreage it is. My mom took the deed with her so I can't look at the moment. But I'm kinda curious now. LOL

Quoting baquick:

He needs to pay for the surveyor. He is the one disputing it. On you deed how much acreage does it say you have? (just curious) ugh people are jerks. He could have just called you and talked to you about it.

lexismama11
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM
I'm not the op I just didn't know how it worked. But I know now in case it ever happens to me lol.

Quoting mommy5912:

because according to his deed that he got when he bought his house it says that it is his property.(at least that is what I got from the post) but either way he believes it is his property and if you disagree that it is his and instead that property belongs to you then one of you need to be able to approve it, but since he put up the cable and you want it down you will now have to prove that it is your property and not his...

I went through this a few months ago...My neighbor put up a fence and she put up the fence 10 feet onto my property, but since neither one of us ever had a survey done I was made to leave up her fence until i got a surveyor out here and proved that it was my property at that point I then had to take the paper work from the surveyor to the town and show the town that it was my property...The town then sent her a letter demanding her to remove the fence in 10 days and if she didn't then I could move it, but if I moved it I could not damage it in anyway or i was held liable for the damage...So my suggestion would be to have your property surveyed and have that paper work brought in to the town and have them make him remove the cable if he is not willing to remove it himself..It becomes a civil matter and a property line disagreement...

Quoting lexismama11:

I've never been through this so I don't know how it works. This may be a stupid question but how can he legally put it up without proving its his property?

Quoting mommy5912:

I just went through this....She legally can not take it down until she proves it is her property and she legally can not keep his stuff even if it is proven to be her property

Quoting Anonymous:

DH is keeping the cable and the sign. Teach the idiot to not put things on other people's property!

Quoting lexismama11:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy5912
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM

either way it is good info for the OP....

Quoting lexismama11:

I'm not the op I just didn't know how it worked. But I know now in case it ever happens to me lol.

Quoting mommy5912:

Quoting lexismama11:

Quoting mommy5912:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lexismama11:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Why should we shell out over $500 to prove him wrong when he failed to get an updated deed. That is assuming that is was an old copy. I didn't actually see it, DH saw and said it was an old copy. And he even told the guy that his deed was old. The guy didn't care. All he could say was that it was 'on the deed'.

Quoting mommy5912:

Quoting lexismama11:

Quoting mommy5912:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lexismama11:

lexismama11
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM
I agree. It's good information for anyone.

Quoting mommy5912:

either way it is good info for the OP....

Quoting lexismama11:

Quoting mommy5912:

Quoting lexismama11:

Quoting mommy5912:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lexismama11:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Then shouldn't he be responsible for at least half? I don't see why we should carry the whole cost if we both disagree.

Quoting mommy5912:

small claims won't make him pay for your survey....You both are disagreeing where the property line is....the only way a court will make him pay you back is if you can prove that he without a  doubt he knew that wasn't his property and he did it anyways....and that is hard to prove especially if his deed read that is it his property.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting baquick:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting baquick:

mommy5912
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM

because unfortunately the law sucks!!! I just went through this and had to pay for one to prove my neighbor wrong....Be happy you only have to shell out 500 I paid well over 1,000

Quoting Anonymous:

Why should we shell out over $500 to prove him wrong when he failed to get an updated deed. That is assuming that is was an old copy. I didn't actually see it, DH saw and said it was an old copy. And he even told the guy that his deed was old. The guy didn't care. All he could say was that it was 'on the deed'.

Quoting mommy5912:

Quoting lexismama11:

Quoting mommy5912:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lexismama11:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured