Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you find this annoying?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My dd14's friend's mom calls my dd her daughter all the time, and it really annoys me. She is younger than the other moms in my dd's group of friends, so she fancies herself "the cool mom". This woman is always posting on her fb page how proud she is of "her" daughters, always insists on having the other girls in the group call her "mom" or "mommy", warning boys if they hurt "her" daughter they will have to answer to her, etc. I guess I wouldn't have such a problem with it if the woman has helped me raise my dd, but I barely even know her! She did not give birth to my kid and is not involved in raising her, I think she has no right calling herself my dd's mom...My dd only has one mom, and that's me!! Would you be annoyed too, or am I overreacting?

I am hesitant to bring it up to her, because she's the type of woman who gets really defensive and blows things out of proportion, and gets vindictive...case in point: another mom noticed she doesn't discipline her ds3, who has mild Asperger's, and talked to her about it. I was around when it happened, and she wasn't being confrontational at all, she just made suggestions. Anyway, "cool mom" flipped out, posted on her FB later on that day "how dare someone attack an autistic child!!!", then started rumors about this other mom that she was pregnant with a black man's baby, instead of her fiance's. She even posted it on a public forum! 

How can I tell her to knock it off, without dealing with her craziness?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Replies (41-50):
Angela_Barlow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:23 AM
I'd say something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

I would worry how she acts when your DD is over there. She sounds like the mom who would let boys come over and give them all liquor to be cool KWIM?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

I would talk to her, she's a mother not a teen.

I feel like I should say something to her too, but seeing how she did the other mom, I'm afraid she'll do the same thing to me )=

I know! I hardly ever let my dd go over there, and I haven't even let her sleep over! I always ask her dd if she'd spend the night at our house instead /=

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Quoting Angela_Barlow:

I'd say something.

How do I do it without her going nuts?? I don't want her to spread gossip about me like she did the other mom )=

lusyl95
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM
I think if it bothers your daughter then it is something you should address. Or if you feel she is a bad influence in your daughters life. I have 14 year old dd and I'm 35, her friends really like me and always want to hang out at our home. I wouldn't expect them to ever call me mom, but they do think I'm the "cool mom" according to my kids. I guess it would bother me too if another mom insisted on being called mom by kids.. best wishes!
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lusyl95:

My best friends mom calls me her daughter too and it has never bothered my mom. She trully cares for me. I think she's just being nice, not trying to take anything away from you. :)

But to the point of insisting on only being called mom? I think she really wants to be "the cool mom"! She practically ignores us other moms!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mistyinlove
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM

i called my best friend's mom "mom" from 5th grade up! i also call her my second mom! she was there for me like my mom was there for me! i had 2 great positive protective female role models in my life! i think thats wonderful! as long as your dd doesnt ignore you and your rules for the other lady i dont see the problem with it

rose0919
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM

to me its not that big of a deal. all of my dd 's friends  call me auntie ro ro. i never asked them to they just do. so it kids of stuck lol. im the fun mom, i guess, our house is the hangout. but we  have the pool, the basketball hoop,and the bigest yard. we even have extra  bikes and helmets if needed. but most of my dd friends are my close friends kids. so they know im not trying to take their kids. they all hung out here growing up so its just natural their kids do too.(i own my childhood home)

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Sounds annoying. Dh's best friend's mom calls him her bonus son, annoys the shit out of me. She uses it to guilt him into doing stuff "Haven't I always been like a mom to you and loved you like a son?"

zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Sounds like you need to delete her as a friend, considering I can tell you don't like her.  

Jessiejem
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Honestly I would just ignore it, your DD knows who her mom is. Not worth a confrontation IMO

angevil53
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM

i wouldn't care about her being confrontational, i would just say my peace. if she didn't listen i would tell my dd that she can't be around that girl at all bc i don't trust the mother. you have to protect what is yours. that is your sole job as a mother. OR you could start telling her ds(the youngest i'm assuming) to call you mom right in front of her. see if she says um no then say why is it ok for you to call my dd your daughter then? it's completely the same thing. she sounds bat shit crazy to me, like the hand that rocks the cradle crazy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)