Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If puberty starts at 9 what’s wrong with dating at 13?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM
  • 82 Replies
2 moms liked this

I've seen several of you ladies say you wouldn't stand your 13 year old dating. But I don't understand why. I would love for my DD to take a dip in the dating pool at that age. IMO it's perfectly natural to start looking for a mate at that stage in puberty. Doesn't mean I expect her to actually find one. I just think the extra practice would be nice for when she ready for that step in her life.

Both I and her father would be open to GROUP dates and activates as long as we met him (or her if she chooses that rout) and their parents. Dating does not = sex or teen age pregnancy. I know children are having sex at a younger and younger age but I don't believe that's because of dating. A relationship does not somehow unlock this mid-evil chastity belt and magically allow children to start have sex. Teen pregnancy comes from a lack of parental guidance and support not handholding and kissing.  

We try to be open and honest with her about everything. I would rather know she is dating or interested in someone and be able to help her better understand how you are supposed to be treated in a relationship. We feel we are there to guide and NOT stifle.

IMO that is.

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I think dating should be done in stages ...like early teens group things with parents in the same building and just progress as they grow :)  

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM
5 moms liked this

I think puberty happening at 9 is not as common as people make it seem. I think 13, perfectly fine to be friends and go do family activities together, but not a date.

Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I had a "boyfriend" at 13....he used to come to my house with my parents there, of course and I to his house...but it wasnt serious..of course. We didn't really hang out much, just at school. LOL

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

on average is 10 and 1/2 sooo yea thats close

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

I think puberty happening at 9 is not as common as people make it seem. I think 13, perfectly fine to be friends and go do family activities together, but not a date.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM
* Her father and I*
pinkdaisy8864
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I'm ok with my DS being interested or going out in groups. But he won't be dating till he's driving.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM

My daughter is 13.  She has plenty of time to "practice". My daughter acts more mature than most 20 year olds I know.  I trust my daughter.  I do not trust other parents children!  So, since MY 13 year olds not gonna be dating............theres more room for you daughter to do all the dipping she wants.  Happy Dipping!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM
I am SO glad someone else has some sense about this. People keeping their kids locked up an not letting them date is ridiculous. My parents encourage me to date. How else would I know when I met the right person??
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM
You're a bitch. That is all.
EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Bahahaha
My sentiments exactly...

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter is 13.  She has plenty of time to "practice". My daughter acts more mature than most 20 year olds I know.  I trust my daughter.  I do not trust other parents children!  So, since MY 13 year olds not gonna be dating............theres more room for you daughter to do all the dipping she wants.  Happy Dipping!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN