Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you expect your 18 year olds

Posted by   + Show Post

To move out of your house upon turning 18 or start paying you rent?

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
Aeonix
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM
If they are going to school, they can live with us rent free. If they are taking a break from school, we will have to review the situation when it arises. If they think they are going to graduate and freeload off of us, they are sadly mistaken. They don't go to school, then they need to get a job and pay rent. My kids are aware of this. I will NOT raise kids to be like my ex.

He has never held a job longer than 3 months. Never went to college. He's 34 and hasn't worked in about 11 years. His parents pay for everything for him. If he didn't live in gov't housing, he would live in his parents basement.
Mazi184
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM
I took a year of after highshool, I was working 3 jobs. my parents didn't charge me rent or anything but they also didnt buy me stuff anymore- like clothes and all that ect.. Probably on of the best years of my life lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikala76
by Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM
He doesn't make enough to help with rent, but he will pay for his car insurance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM

No absolutly not. I expect them to stay home get their basics done at the comunity college work part time pay for their own cell phone and insurance and gas money but not rent. Then transfer to a bigger college and either work and live on their own also or I will pay for them to live in the dorm their choice. If however they wanted to move out at 18 and be on their own I would support them in that also. What I stated is just my prefrence.

gemikris82
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM

depends, if hes working and or going to college he doesnt have to move/pay rent. as long as hes trying if hes like a slacker then i want something as an adult

laura_sims

As long as they are in school or doing something for their future they can live with me rent free. If they only have a job they can pay a little bit of rent. If they are not doing either they can move out or find something to do 

Rhiannon1980
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM

It will depend if our ds is going to college then no he won't have to pay rent so to speak but will have to help with things like food in the house. He will be doing his own laundry and helping with house hold chores. But he will be doing chores long before 18 same with his laundry. If he is not going to college then yes he will have a job and pay us rent or get out and pay his own rent. That is how dh and I where both raised. He will also have to pay for his own car and the insurance on his car. We can't afford to pay for those things for him. Not to mention not everything in life is handed to you. We have already started a bank account for him that has money put aside every month that we can't touch for when he is 18 and he has a college fund also. We are doing what we can to help him now but he will have to pay some of his way just not all of it like dh and I had to.

Mcelly
I expect them to be in college, I will pay their bills until they graduate.
HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Nope. I hope they'll stay home until after college.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM

To me, that would all be situational.  If they abide by the rules of my home, are respectful and contribute, etc then I have no problem with them staying a bit longer.

If they think 18 is a magic number and they treat me or my house like crap. stay out all hours, don't help out, then they can get out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN