Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sex After Baby? What's That??

Posted by   + Show Post

There are so many reasons why a new mom might avoid having sex after giving birth: pain, tiredness, post-partum depression, being uncomfortable with the changes in her body. There are even some medical conditions common in new moms - with symptoms that mimic plain-old new mom exhaustion - that can affect libido, too.

Here's what you need to know about getting your mojo back and your groove on - including the person you should be having more sex with (hint - it's not your partner!). Watch for it at about 5:30 into the video.

What's your libido been like since having kids?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I have never made it more than a week after baby!!! My quickest was three days after birth...my idea, not his...although he didn't protest;)

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Wow, you used a tampon 4-weeks out? You had your period that soon or you tried to use a tampon to catch post birth bleeding? You had sex 4-weeks out? I thought most providers say to wait for 6-weeks. I know some people do it earlier but I assumed if they were doing it earlier that they felt fine and weren't having pain. Did you keep having sex even though it was hurting you?

Quoting queentroll117:

It hurt like a bitch to use a tampon 4 weeks after birth let alone sex. It was 6 weeks before it felt better

budgie1117
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
We had 3 kids in 2.5 years. Libido wasn't a problem for me, obviously! Leaking milk during didn't embarrass me, but it did make me laugh hysterically!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllieReed
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM
I couldn't wait until my six weeks were up, so I can't relate to this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I only bled for 3 days after giving birth i had sex 6 days later. Mine was always good:)

a5hl3yC
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I don't know the reason for the other person who listed this but for me personally I have PCOS which stands for poly cystic ovarian syndrome. That basically means my body does maintain my hormone levels correctly and it gets out of balance which creates some problems. My eggs weren't releasing and my period would just not start. I went a full year with nothing. The problem with this was I wasn't on any type of birth control or anything like this so it can cause problems with the ovaries. Sometimes woman need it when they have cysts on the ovaries as well. Lately I've been taking vitex which helps me stay regular.

I don't mind explaining or answering any questions if you're interested just ask. I know it's not as common and not many people talk about it.

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Why would you need help to start? I'm just curious, I've never heard of this.

Quoting a5hl3yC:

I used to take medicine to start my period. I didn't want to be on birth control. It just helped me start. It was called provera.

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Did you keep using tampons and having sex even though it hurt?

Wow, I didn't know there was a pill for starting a menstrual cycle or any reason for needing one. I never heard that before.

Quoting queentroll117:

my doc cleared me at 4 weeks for sex, tampon etc etc. I had a problem with my cycle and he gave me a pill to start my menustral cycle after 4 weeks

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Wow, you used a tampon 4-weeks out? You had your period that soon or you tried to use a tampon to catch post birth bleeding? You had sex 4-weeks out? I thought most providers say to wait for 6-weeks. I know some people do it earlier but I assumed if they were doing it earlier that they felt fine and weren't having pain. Did you keep having sex even though it was hurting you?

Quoting queentroll117:

It hurt like a bitch to use a tampon 4 weeks after birth let alone sex. It was 6 weeks before it felt better

Bellarose0212
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I can't imagine that. But, I've heard it before. The thing that suprises me is that she said it didn't stop hurting until 6-weeks which made it seem like she kept having sex even though it was hurting. But, it could have been the wording or maybe she kept trying and then stopping when it hurt. That's why I asked.

So, it didn't hurt three days after birth? Also, do you never go longer than like three days normally?

Quoting Anonymous:

I have never made it more than a week after baby!!! My quickest was three days after birth...my idea, not his...although he didn't protest;)

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Quoting queentroll117:

Bellarose0212
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Also, were you still having post-birth bleeding?

Quoting Bellarose0212:

I can't imagine that. But, I've heard it before. The thing that suprises me is that she said it didn't stop hurting until 6-weeks which made it seem like she kept having sex even though it was hurting. But, it could have been the wording or maybe she kept trying and then stopping when it hurt. That's why I asked.

So, it didn't hurt three days after birth? Also, do you never go longer than like three days normally?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Quoting queentroll117:

Bellarose0212
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. I have had a long time with no period before but had natural reasons (breastfeeding) and enjoyed the time. Sorry that apparently it had negative side effects for you. :(

Quoting queentroll117:

no. I tried it twice then said hell with it. yeah that pill is NO fun. I hope you never have to use it

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Wow, I didn't know there was a pill for starting a menstrual cycle or any reason for needing one. I never heard that before.

Quoting queentroll117:

my doc cleared me at 4 weeks for sex, tampon etc etc. I had a problem with my cycle and he gave me a pill to start my menustral cycle after 4 weeks

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Quoting queentroll117:

Bellarose0212
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I have heard of PCOS before. My mother was diagnosed with it (and endometriosis) in the 70s and they told her she couldn't have children, but she had two anyway.

Why would birth control help? Would it just do the same as the provera and induce/regulate your cycle?

I went two years with no period but for me it was a good thing.

Sorry that you have had all those issues! My cousin had similar issues and pre-cancerous cells in her ovaries. She had to have surgery and treatment. She later had a son but had a high-risk pregnancy and lots of complications. I feel awful for all that she has been through pre and post baby.

Quoting a5hl3yC:

I don't know the reason for the other person who listed this but for me personally I have PCOS which stands for poly cystic ovarian syndrome. That basically means my body does maintain my hormone levels correctly and it gets out of balance which creates some problems. My eggs weren't releasing and my period would just not start. I went a full year with nothing. The problem with this was I wasn't on any type of birth control or anything like this so it can cause problems with the ovaries. Sometimes woman need it when they have cysts on the ovaries as well. Lately I've been taking vitex which helps me stay regular.

I don't mind explaining or answering any questions if you're interested just ask. I know it's not as common and not many people talk about it.

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Quoting a5hl3yC:

I used to take medicine to start my period. I didn't want to be on birth control. It just helped me start. It was called provera.

Quoting Bellarose0212:

a5hl3yC
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I personally feel better when I do get it out of my system so to speak. birth control also regulates the hormone levels to a certain degree so it's safe to not have a period while on them however it can trigger them as well. However I wasn't on it at the time so I would get terrible pain in my lower abs and back every so often.

so to answer yes it can help regulate/control the only difference is the provera and vitex don't have the added medicine involved it's all natural from what I've been told.

How was it a good thing? Were you breastfeeding at the time? It's still something to check into just for your safety sake since it could be caused by cysts or problems with the ovaries not to cause alarm just awareness. I never thought much about it for myself either other than the pain.

I'm sorry for your mom and the friend you had that must have been really difficult to deal with. I hope both have recovered since then.

I'm personally working on regulating and getting myself back on track to help my chances for having another baby when we start to ttc again.

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I have heard of PCOS before. My mother was diagnosed with it (and endometriosis) in the 70s and they told her she couldn't have children, but she had two anyway.

Why would birth control help? Would it just do the same as the provera and induce/regulate your cycle?

I went two years with no period but for me it was a good thing.

Sorry that you have had all those issues! My cousin had similar issues and pre-cancerous cells in her ovaries. She had to have surgery and treatment. She later had a son but had a high-risk pregnancy and lots of complications. I feel awful for all that she has been through pre and post baby.

Quoting a5hl3yC:

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Quoting a5hl3yC:

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)