Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think my SO is wrong. Debate help.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 75 Replies
Ok. I have an older DD, whose white. My younger DD is half black. Yes, there's a point. My SO is insistant on getting YDD everyone of the black cabbage patch dolls. Awesome! Anywho my ODD always has wanted black babies. I've never seen an issue she has dolls of all colors. Now that YDD is getting black dolls my ODD has been begging me for a blank cabbage patch. Her cabbage patch doll is white. There birthdays are coming up and only 3 weeks apart. So my mom buys a huge gift for them to share. One of the gifts is the cabbage patch big sister little sister dolls. My mom said the little doll for YDD and big doll for ODD. I think its great! But my SO is upset. He wants YDD to have the only black cabbage patch. So she knows she's black. I don't see that. Maybe bc I'm white I don't understand. But he's sure her having only black dolls will instill a sense of black pride. He actually wants to call my mother. Thank her and ask her to please get ODD a white cabbage patch. He has a good relationship with my mother. But I don't think he needs to. And I really don't see the big deal off a ODD having a black cabbage patch doll. Wouldn't that show pride and acceptance of her YDD?

Ugh, so confused. Any input?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Melonie
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM
15 moms liked this
I think your dh is putting waaaay too much emphasis on skin color. They are kids, nothing wrong with letting them have a doll of any color.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRinehart2010
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont see the big deal of either of them having all  race of babys lol. my daughter are white yes but they have aa, white, asian ect dolls. no big deal. an doll isnt going to teach her the since of pride in her race . He should be teaching her these things in other ways. A long with your other daughter because it great for all children (not matter the race ) to learn about other races and cultures ect.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I think your girls should have which ever doll they'd like. Black, white, asian or indian.
Even alien! Lol :-P
mommasbabies77
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Quoting Melonie:

I think your dh is putting waaaay too much emphasis on skin color. They are kids, nothing wrong with letting them have a doll of any color.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy5912
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Your man is way over thinking this....The dolls color a child has should not be determined by the skin color of the child....My DD is white and her favorite dolls are colored...

smASH-
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this
Throw a vase at his head.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WhitleyLyles
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this

cripes. its just a matter of a different shade of skin. She just needs to be proud to be her. it has nothing to do with her being black or white or purple or orange. lol

onlyme28
by Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
This my kids are half black they have white and black dolls there is nothing wrong with it I had black barbies when I was a kid

Quoting Melonie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soontobemommie3
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM
:( that's sad. He's sad. My daughter is white and has black babies and barbies. I didn't know chikdrens toys had to be segregated. He needs to seriously take a step back and look at himself. That's borderline racist. And id say the same thing about any whit person refusing to buy black babies. They're toys for christ sake.

You get your daughters whichever toys they want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
When I was little I wanted to have Asian babies! And I only go out with white guys or Asians (specially Koreans *melts*) and I couldn't wait for my itty-bitties to be Asian looking, tan good, probably with my curly blonde hair (*crosses fingers*) and speak English Spanish Korean and German. Haha well previous BF to so was Korean and things didn't work out. Husband before K-BF was white and now SO is white. My kids will still have every color doll, and they can have a preference. I always wanted the more Asian looking Barbie and "teen skipper" cause she was tan.

Tell him not to make a big deal of it or she will notice and wonder what she's "supposed to like". That won't be so cute. I think your older DD wants dark babies cause you, her mom, who she learns how to play mom from, had a dark baby! And that's so cute :D
~*~*~ Because food will never taste as good as skinny feels~*~*~
~*~*~One bad meal can't make you fat. Nor can one healthy meal make you skinny~*~*~
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)