Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My problem with immigrants (illegal and legal)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I live in Texas where we have a large Hispanic population and my problem with immigrants is that I'm looking for a job right now and can't seem to find anything because every job wants me to be bi-lingual.  I have an undergraduate and am working towards my graduate degree in poly-sci and can't find shit because I don't habla espanol. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2012 at 1:57 AM
Replies (21-30):
mamaxkitty
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:09 AM
6 moms liked this
Learn Spanish. Its not fucking rocket science. My mom knew both English and Spanish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
razmatazthespaz
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:10 AM
2 moms liked this

but you need a job quicker than it will take for the country to declare a national language and enforce english language classes on an entire population of people....

so maybe you should suck it up and take some CC classes for spanish!

Quoting Anonymous:

They need to learn to speak freaking English.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:10 AM

No one's stereotyping the jobs want you to be English/Spanish bilingual and I don't speak Spanish.  Yeah, I can learn, but in the meantime, my degrees don't mean shit because they'd rather higher someone with a high school diploma or GED who barely speaks English but is fluent in Spanish and train them for a job rather than higher someone who is very qualified with experience who doesn't speak Spanish. 

Quoting LedxKashmir:

Oh and not all immigrants speak Spanish. Stop stereotyping

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Learning a different language doesn't "hurt" anyone. Just like it wouldn't hurt op, but help and benefit her. Why is that a bad thing?

Not to mention you can't make people do something just because you think they should. America doesn't have an official language.

Quoting Anonymous:

Would it hurt the "immigrants" to learn English?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheyanneW
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you looked into moving to a non border state?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this
They need to learn fucking english..
rockinmomto2
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I can kinda understand your frustration, but come on now. Just learn spanish. It's not that hard. Besides, most people in this country are immigrants. My grandparents were! They didn't move here until the 1950s. They also didn't learn to speak English until their children were older. My mom and her siblings grew up speaking Ukrainian as their first language. So immigrants don't bother me one iota. The US is a melting pot.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:15 AM
4 moms liked this
No official language my ass. That's a cover for the bull crap. The majority of Americans speak english

Quoting hope_love_dream:

Quoting Anonymous:

They need to learn to speak freaking English.

says who? the country with, once again, NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE???

sounds to me the person who needs a job needs to learn Spanish, or just go broke.

rockinmomto2
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:16 AM
3 moms liked this

For someone with a degree, you sure don't know your spelling nor grammar. Maybe that's why you can't get a job.

Quoting Anonymous:

No one's stereotyping the jobs want you to be English/Spanish bilingual and I don't speak Spanish.  Yeah, I can learn, but in the meantime, my degrees don't mean shit because they'd rather higher someone with a high school diploma or GED who barely speaks English but is fluent in Spanish and train them for a job rather than higher someone who is very qualified with experience who doesn't speak Spanish. 

Quoting LedxKashmir:

Oh and not all immigrants speak Spanish. Stop stereotyping

EAzizM
by Erica on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Sucks for you. You get paid more for being bilingual. Js
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN