Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My problem with immigrants (illegal and legal)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I live in Texas where we have a large Hispanic population and my problem with immigrants is that I'm looking for a job right now and can't seem to find anything because every job wants me to be bi-lingual.  I have an undergraduate and am working towards my graduate degree in poly-sci and can't find shit because I don't habla espanol. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 30, 2012 at 1:57 AM
Replies (701-710):
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Lmfao

Of course your logic has done so well for you here. Perhaps you should reread what I wrote again, only slower this time. And please try to comprehend. I'd love for you to name one place in the US where English isn't spoken at all. NA reservations don't count.

You already failed at proving it to be discrimination. Lets see if you'll fail at this too.

Quoting Alex825:

I never stated in the USA, that every single job requires one to be bilingual. Get out your reading glasses, or you are just plain ignorant. There are parts of the USA where in order to get a job, you need to be bilingual, That is the statement I made, marked CLEARLY below!! Parts of the USA do not speak any English at all, they only speak their native language,may it be Spanish, Chinese, and Bilingual people are needed to translate and work. It also works the opposite, I live in an ALL English speaking community, We need bilingual speaking people because when some one does come to live here that does not speak English, they need a translator and visa verse. 

You just like to argue and make up things as you go. Clearly shows your lack of intelligence, when you even can't read what one clearly states. Give it a rest, you opened up a can of worms just to be a C U Next Tuesday! 

Quoting hautemama83:

There is not a single place in the US where every single job requires you to be bilingual.

your intellect has failed you. Seriously.

Quoting Alex825:

All jobs should require drug/tobacco screening. I am all for that. As for covering ones body in  tattoo's and piercings, they should of thought about the possible consequences of their actions later on down the road.These are totally differnt  issues, because one  has chosen to "decorate" their body. Totally not on the same page as having to learn a second language. I am talking about in parts of the USA you have to be bilingual to get a job. One doesn't have a choice,  as the person who decides to pierce and tattoo their body. 

Quoting hautemama83:

Lmao.

Its discrimination huh. How exactly? Some jobs require you to pass a tobacco screening. Is that discrimination? Other jobs require you to cover all tattoos and take out piercings. Is that discrimination? Even the federal government has jobs that require you to be bilingual. Its not discrimination.

Quoting Alex825:

You are missing the point. It is beccoming MANDATORY in many areas of the USA to speak Spanish to get a job, and that includes any job. Yes learning a second language is a great idea, however it should not be a requirement to get a job. That is called DISCRIMINATION. So if English speaking citizens are now being required to learn Spanish for employment, then why is it not a two way street?  EVERYBODY THEN should learn to speak English and Spanish. Can't just have it one way. It is a form of discrimination !!!!!!!! (any job means from McDonalds to A CEO) 

Quoting hautemama83:

Like I've said in this post a hundred times, America does not have an official language. We, as a nation, cannot require assimilation if we don't have an official language for them to assimilate to. Never mind those who are here illegally, because they shouldn't be here anyway. Furthermore why wouldn't op WANT to learn a second language? Why is that a bad thing? Being bilingual is a good thing. Its a job skill, it improves a resume.

Quoting Anonymous:

NO THE HISPANICS SHOULD LEARN ENGLISH IF THEY WANT TO LIVE IN USA ILLEGALLY OR LEGALLY. IT SHOULD BE MANDATORY FOR ALL IMMIGRANTS. If an American citizen decided to move to another non English speaking country, we would HAVE to learn the native language. There would be NO choice in the matter. So why should it be any different in the USA? If Hispanics/immigrants/Non English speaking,  moved to lets say Japan, they would HAVE to learn Japanese, just as anyone else. . SO WTF are we catering to people who refuse to learn to speak ENGLISH????   My ancestors  had to learn English to survive and get work. 

Quoting hautemama83:

So learn Spanish then.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM
Bump!
mamma1993
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:23 PM

And this is caused by immigrants?Don`t think so.Go anywhere in the world and you will see that being bi-lingual is almost mandatory.If you intend on living in your area for any time to come then become bi-lingual.You then become an asset to employers

mama2beautiesnb
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:27 PM
I'm loving the fact this response has over one hundred likes! Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Would it hurt the "immigrants" to learn English?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM

haha LOSER!!!! you CANT get a job cause thats what U R, not cause of the immigrants!FYI the US has no oficial language

alliesaurus
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM

the really sad part is when people start losing their jobs because they aren't bilingual. imagin working for a company for 30 years and then being fired from the managers position because you couldn't communicate with the new hired workers. = my aunt.

spanish isn't that difficult to learn if you have the ambition. Although I agree why should we have to accomodate, the one immigrating should be required to learn english.

Northwest_angel
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I have yet to hear of an illegal immigrant stealing away a CEO position in a company, or any other degree position for that matter. A majority of immigrants are working jobs that most Americans feel they are to good for like, farm hands, janitors, lawn maintineance, and gas station attendants, etc. 

Put on your big girl panties and learn to speak spanish and make yourself more marketable. You are never going to stop change or progress. Our country is integrated whether you agree or not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:59 PM
There's a lot of somolians in my state and they made ESL in schools an optional class. Its quite irritating.

Quoting Anonymous:

No official language my ass. That's a cover for the bull crap. The majority of Americans speak english

Quoting hope_love_dream:

Quoting Anonymous:

They need to learn to speak freaking English.

says who? the country with, once again, NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE???

sounds to me the person who needs a job needs to learn Spanish, or just go broke.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:01 PM
When I went to college, I was required to take language courses? Why with all your education and living in such a bilingual area did you never take it upon yourself to learn Spanish?

Quoting Anonymous:

No one's stereotyping the jobs want you to be English/Spanish bilingual and I don't speak Spanish.  Yeah, I can learn, but in the meantime, my degrees don't mean shit because they'd rather higher someone with a high school diploma or GED who barely speaks English but is fluent in Spanish and train them for a job rather than higher someone who is very qualified with experience who doesn't speak Spanish. 

Quoting LedxKashmir:

Oh and not all immigrants speak Spanish. Stop stereotyping

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:02 PM
I lived in korea (military) and they did as much as they could to be accommodating but we still had to learn the language.

Quoting Anastazia975:

Quoting Anonymous:

Would it hurt the "immigrants" to learn English?

Would it hurt "Americans" to do so as well?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)