Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do some people use having children as an excuse for a dirty home?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Are the parents just too lazy to clean up? If I ever went to someone's home and their home wasn't clean, more than likely I won't go back. I don't understand people having toys in every room and you can't even walk and than they invite you over, and they say, " sorry the baby or kids have stuff every where" well how about you make them clean it up or you do!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Replies (161-170):
coreilly89
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh well. My home is "Dirty". You know, with toys on the floor. We feel the same way about you. If your home is too clean we wont come back. Wouldn't want our kids to mark up your pretty floors.

vfrancis
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Well...I think there are different levels of a mess. When you have children, of course your going to have a lived in house and things are not going to be perfect all the time. Everyone has there own view on whats acceptable or not.

MsKristinB
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I have a friend who is like this.  But it's not toys or games that are left out.  It's her dh and her, arguing about who is going to do the dishes/laundry and them being stubborn and the laundry/dishes sitting there for days.  He works full-time, she's a sahm and her kids go to preschool 3 days a week.  Is it really THAT hard?  I only have 1 dd and she's 6.  She's just like me and loves to fold laundry, vacuum for me, dust and make beds.  She always has been.  I'm pretty lucky.  :)

areles
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:33 PM
cluttered with toys isn't exactly 'dirty'.

that said, I find the sight of childrens toys in common areas annoying. my son's toys have never been strewn about our home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tara922c
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

If someone never wanted to come to my house because of a few toys in the living room, I would say "Good, don't come, I don't want people like that at my house anyway." If someone didn't want to come over because my house was gross, smelled, and we had bugs running around, I would understand.

The way I see it, if a person wants to pay my bills, she is more than welcome to come over and run my home as she sees fit. Until then, she better be prepared that if she stops by, there may be a few toys in the living room.

AdellesMom
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:38 PM
When I think of dirt, I think of filth. My home isn't dirty. However, it's not always cleared.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I have 7 children and do the very best that I can to help keep the house in tip-top shape.  I actually used to be underfoot with every one of them picking things up behind them only to find the item back on the floor in five minutes.  I was running myself ragged all day long with nothing to show for it. 

I took the toys out of their rooms and put them in the family room.  I divided the room into sections, much like a pre-school.  By my example they knew where everything went and started picking up and putting away WITH my assistance.  Finally I was able to concentrate on the things that really need to be cleaned with water and soap -- kitchen and bathroom, floors, windows, stairs and hallways/

We found that organization really helped, but it takes time and patience.  Kids and toys go together and you can't expect a clutter-free existance with children until they are older and find pride in themselves for keeping a tidy space. 

Miss-B
by ‚ô•Divalicious‚ô• on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Quoting imuney:

I agree.

soulawakening82
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM
There is a difference in "dirty" and "cluttered". I only clean once a day, unless something comes up, like right now, my boys just spilled their popcorn on the floor, so as soon as I get my lazy ass off here, I will vacuum it up, and while I'm at it, I might as well vacuum the rest! They are also only allowed to have 3 toys each out of their room, then if they want more, they pick a toy to trade for a new one, then at the end of the day, any toys out here are picked up by all of us, though my almost 2 year old usually only picks up a couple things, and we load them into their shopping cart, and it is the almost 2 year old's job to push the cart to their room, then while they are in the bath, I put the toys where they go in their room. And before I get ripped to shreds for leaving little kids in the bath alone, I put a couple toys away, walk out of the room and can see them in the tub by looking in the mirror. I can also hear them playing. The longest they are "alone" is about 30 seconds!

Anyway, my point is its not that hard to keep a place not dirty, but if you come by my house during the day, expect to see toys everywhere!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krystalbenadick
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I admit, my home is clean most of the time, however, there are days if you dropped by you would find toys, books and games everywhere in random places.  If you would never visit me again because of that, my guess is that is the best for everyone concerned:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)