Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does our cat eat too much?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

She goes through a 3.15 lb bag almost every 2 weeks. This time is the first time in a long time where she hasn't blown through a bag. She has a weeks worth of food left in this bag since we got her food, so that will be 3 weeks.

She doesn't have worms. She is also 6 years old btw.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:28 AM

sounds like mine,is she overweight?Mine ran his assoff all the time

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Quoting shivasgirl:

I haven't had her weighed in a long time but yeah I can tell she is over weight. She can't go outside where we live-poor kitty!!!

anchorgurl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:31 AM

If she's overweight, she might just be eating out of boredom...particularly if she's free feeding and not active.  I've been guilty; mine gain weight over the cold months, but burn it off when it gets warm.

Lachrymose
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:32 AM

?  Do you go by how much is recommended on the bag?  Ours get about 3/4 of a cup a day .  We use a huge bag so I can't gauge based on the bag size.. 

We have an overweight kitty because she had jaw issues from the time she was a baby up until very recently, so she simply doesn't know when to stop eating as she's just not used to being able to eat without pain.  We had to start monitoring their intake when before we just let them graze out of a big container. 

How much is in a 3.15 lb bag?  :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Quoting anchorgurl:

If she's overweight, she might just be eating out of boredom...particularly if she's free feeding and not active.  I've been guilty; mine gain weight over the cold months, but burn it off when it gets warm.

She is bored out of her ever loving mind, I am sure. Where we lived before she was able to be outside and enjoy running and being a cat. Here, we are not allowed to have cats outside.

She ate less then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:35 AM

Quoting Lachrymose:

?  Do you go by how much is recommended on the bag?  Ours get about 3/4 of a cup a day .  We use a huge bag so I can't gauge based on the bag size.. 

We have an overweight kitty because she had jaw issues from the time she was a baby up until very recently, so she simply doesn't know when to stop eating as she's just not used to being able to eat without pain.  We had to start monitoring their intake when before we just let them graze out of a big container. 

She acts out when she doesn't get enough food and we can't let her out of the apartment here because it's against complex rules. She ate a lot less when she went outside in our previous apartment.

I don't measure her food but I know it's way more than 3/4 of a cup. It's late and not in the mood for even the most basic math lol:)

anchorgurl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Try getting her to play inside.  The Cat Fishing Rod from Hartz gets mine going.  They also like the little laser pointer and run all over.  Even a little bit of activity will help.  I had one cat who was 28 pounds and lived to be 14--so they can be "healthy" when they're overweight.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting anchorgurl:

She is bored out of her ever loving mind, I am sure. Where we lived before she was able to be outside and enjoy running and being a cat. Here, we are not allowed to have cats outside.

She ate less then.

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:38 AM

no,safe kitty...mine was just hit by a car May 15:(

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting shivasgirl:

I haven't had her weighed in a long time but yeah I can tell she is over weight. She can't go outside where we live-poor kitty!!!

Lachrymose
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:41 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lachrymose:

She acts out when she doesn't get enough food and we can't let her out of the apartment here because it's against complex rules. She ate a lot less when she went outside in our previous apartment.

I don't measure her food but I know it's way more than 3/4 of a cup. It's late and not in the mood for even the most basic math lol:)

Oh, I hear ya about the math!  I've been putting off budgeting our groceries for a few days because I haven't been sleeping well. 

Hmm.. :/  Ours doesn't act out so I can't help much there.  She does try to eat the dog food sometimes.. lol.  Outside cats are a handful when they come in permanently like that!  I know how that goes!   Wishing you luck anyhow!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:43 AM

Quoting shivasgirl:

no,safe kitty...mine was just hit by a car May 15:(

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting shivasgirl:

((((hugs))) I worry about that happening to our cat...

Dh and I have a kitty we still miss. I don't know what happened to her. I don't talk about it often, especially the details of how she looked when we found her. I lost a friend I can never get back. Even now, as I type this, it feels like yesterday. I miss my Mandy so much! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN