Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

would you tell your teenage daughter...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

she is getting a little chubby?

Thank goodness I didnt have to, she came to me.  I plan on helping her but she HAS to be a bit more stronger willed.  If she continues down this path she will do a hell of alot more then a freshman 15!

Anyone else deal with this?  Suggestions?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't buy snack foods.  Just things that need to be cooked or prepared.  Dont buy sodas, or other high calorie drinks.  Cook a dinner - that you will all eat together - every night, and make it a healthy one.  Model good behavior (she may be a teen, but she'll still see what you do).

And stay active, both with her and without her.  Take her to play tennis.  Enroll her in sports - be it soccer, dance, or karate.  Run with her.  Swim with her.  Encourage active times with her and her friends - swimming, walking, bowling, running, whatever.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:56 PM

It's good she came to you.

I was a little chubby at 16 (nothing horrid), and my mom signed me up for Jenny Craig. I wasn't happy. I HATED it. I skipped meetings, and snuck my own food into the house. I refused to listen to any of her advice. She backed off, and I stopped rebelling. Actually by age 18 I slimmed down quite a bit. I looked damn good.

waitWHAT
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Is she active? Y'all should go on walks together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:59 PM

We dont do snack foods and sodas at home.  Heck we dont even do juice.  I cook 6 out of 7 days a week and rarely red meat.  We have at  one or two veggies at every meal. I dont do potatoes, rice, or bread at meal time and I always have fruit on hand.  And hubby and I are EXCELENT roll models.

These are not MY food choices... they are her's when she is away from the house.

I guess it would have made more sence had I said "teenage daughter"  who drives.  This is not MY fault.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Don't buy snack foods.  Just things that need to be cooked or prepared.  Dont buy sodas, or other high calorie drinks.  Cook a dinner - that you will all eat together - every night, and make it a healthy one.  Model good behavior (she may be a teen, but she'll still see what you do).

And stay active, both with her and without her.  Take her to play tennis.  Enroll her in sports - be it soccer, dance, or karate.  Run with her.  Swim with her.  Encourage active times with her and her friends - swimming, walking, bowling, running, whatever.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM

sadly she stopped playing competitive soccer this past jan.

she does hike with her friends... but I have a feeling it is more of a stroll than what I would consider a hike.

Quoting waitWHAT:

Is she active? Y'all should go on walks together.

Namaste09
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Make sure you have proper food in your house!!!

Also maybe excercise with her :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I do have very good food choices. 

I think I need to get her to run with me.... problem is she is a quick but short distance runner... Im slow but can run for miles.  Our pace is off.

Quoting Namaste09:

Make sure you have proper food in your house!!!

Also maybe excercise with her :)

jellybeanjean
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I wouldn't say much to her. I think 15 is a very sensitive age. if she's chubby she knows. Try keeping healthy foods in the house...go for walks/hikes/bike rides with her. Encouage her to do active things. I had a very superficial mum growing up. I was always either too fat, too skinny, too dark skinned or whatever... and she wasn't afraid to tell me. I'm not saying thats how you are ...but sometimes those types of comments can be very damaging.... I ended up starving myself one year to the point where my school sent me to the drs and I had major confidence issues growing up cause of it...really just came to terms with myself after university.

Nicki23
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:13 PM

No, I would tell her she's beautiful every single day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I would tell her she needed to start focusing on her health more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)