Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I feel disrespected by my 3yo ss, am I over reacting?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 86 Replies
I've been with dh for two years, the first year we were in a long distance relationship than we married and soon I had my ds who is now 3 months old.
Any who for reason to long to write about and nothing to do with this actual post ss has only been apart of our lives for the past 6 months. Ss is 3 years old and I feel like he is being disrespectful towards me. Dh thinks I'm being to sensitive and that his son is just "silly" can you tell me if I am being to sensitive or if he is trying me to see what he can get away with?

Here are some examples

First he didn't call me by my name until recently. I was "hey" or "you" finally I addressed this with dh, and he had a talk with him and now he calls me by name ONLY when dh is around.

Second, if we are all sitting down watching movies he'll kick me so I can get away from his dad cover his eyes and say "i don't want to see you"

Third, he's told me he doesn't like me, he won't love me, he only loves his father

Also, anytime I ask him to do something I'm totally ignored. Rather its asking him to scoot over so I can pass or pick up his toys I'm ignored

Than, one day me and dh were having a heated discussion. Ss walks into our room while were still talking. I express to dh that I will not finish this talk with his son in the room. He (of course being a man) has to have the last word BUT as soon as he's finished and walking out the room ss screams out to me "yea" &.follows his dad out the room. His dad did tell him "hey you don't say that" but the fact is that he felt he could.

And last, I bf my ds, so when ss is here I bf in the room. Well he.walks into the room. I quickly cover myself and ask him nicely to leave. He (being a.kid) ask "why" I tell him because I'm feeding his brother he than comes closer. I ask him again to leave, he says no. when he finally decides to levee he walks out the room but not before saying "I'm leaving but not because you said so"

Am I being sensitive? Is he actually disrespecting me purposely? Is he just being a 3yo?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smilelovesmile
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:52 AM

as a mom if i found out my three year old was saying those things i would whoop her so bad, she wouldn't ever disrespect that person again. I do not know how you and SS mom are on talking terms but if you can you may want to discuss it with her. If this is an every other weekend visit with his dad, then the mom will know better how to address the issue. Thats just my opinion because i am the mom of my daughter and if she was being disrespectful, even if i didnt like her dads wife, i still wouldn't allow it. I wouldn't want my DD being like that. Good LUCK!!!

10yrsapart9505
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Sounds like a bratty three yr old.  He doesnt have to love you or even like you for that matter, but he does have to respect you and respect that you and his father have a relationship.  I am going through a lot of the same things with my ss.  You have to tell your dh that it has to stop now, otherwise you will have to disengage from any relationship with his son in order to not be constantly hurt by this child. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:55 AM
I feel exactly the same way. I would never raise my son to talk to anyone like ss talks to me. & honestly I don't think he's mother is the problem. I think its my dh, he lets his son get away with everything, he doesn't discipline him. Whatever ss wants he gets. I know for a fact ss mother WOULD NOT tolerate half the things he does.

Quoting smilelovesmile:

as a mom if i found out my three year old was saying those things i would whoop her so bad, she wouldn't ever disrespect that person again. I do not know how you and SS mom are on talking terms but if you can you may want to discuss it with her. If this is an every other weekend visit with his dad, then the mom will know better how to address the issue. Thats just my opinion because i am the mom of my daughter and if she was being disrespectful, even if i didnt like her dads wife, i still wouldn't allow it. I wouldn't want my DD being like that. Good LUCK!!!

Starburst72
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:56 AM
3 moms liked this

how how how can a 3 year old disrespect anyone. he is 3 woman. don't you have a clue about childhood development? go get yourself some parenting classes. please for the sake of this child. 

lovinglife0682
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM
4 moms liked this
He is a baby who sees you and the new baby as a threat when it comes to his father's attention.
my2boysandgirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I think it part disrespect and part of it is he is learning where he fits into your family. You said that he has only been around for the last 6 months. So he gets a new family and 3 months later you had a baby. Although your DH needs to address these issues as the come up you also have to be understanding of him learning his place and every one else's place in your family. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM
I told dh exactly that. He DOESN'T have to like me, so don't make him feel like he does, but this is my house and he does have to respect me.. Smh its just hard to get dh to back me up when he doesn't see a problem. where I see disrespect he sees a cute lil boy being goofy

Quoting 10yrsapart9505:

Sounds like a bratty three yr old.  He doesnt have to love you or even like you for that matter, but he does have to respect you and respect that you and his father have a relationship.  I am going through a lot of the same things with my ss.  You have to tell your dh that it has to stop now, otherwise you will have to disengage from any relationship with his son in order to not be constantly hurt by this child. 

lovinglife0682
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Quoting Starburst72:

how how how can a 3 year old disrespect anyone. he is 3 woman. don't you have a clue about childhood development? go get yourself some parenting classes. please for the sake of this child. 

I agree.
militarywife09
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Yeah I agree with this.

Quoting my2boysandgirl:

I think it part disrespect and part of it is he is learning where he fits into your family. You said that he has only been around for the last 6 months. So he gets a new family and 3 months later you had a baby. Although your DH needs to address these issues as the come up you also have to be understanding of him learning his place and every one else's place in your family. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry, so if a 3yo ran around telling people "shut up I don't have to listen to you" what do you call that?

Quoting Starburst72:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)