Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Nasty smoker neighbors!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So this is going to be anonymous because I don't know if they are on here and don't want to chance it, but need to get this off my chest!

My nasty neighbor goes out on his deck constantly to smoke. His wife, too. They have 3 kids and live in a 2 bedroom apartment below us. The only place you are allowed to smoke on our complex is the deck, and theirs is directly below ours. The air conditioner is also right on there. So if I open the windows or turn the a/c on, our house gets filled with sick smelling cheap ass cigarette odors. 

I know what cigarette addiction is like, I smoked for years before I got married and grew up. I know it is hard to quit. The annoying thing is, DD has had multiple illnesses since these losers have moved in, and they have all been RSV, croup, and other respiratory viruses! I complained to the apartment managers and they told them that they had permission to smoke elsewhere, so that we could turn our ac on or open the windows. They complied for a week. 

If you are just going to get on here and say "well then just move" guess what, we have a lease and as soon as it is up we will! 

If you are a smoker, do you do it in front of your children? Why would you? I am so beyond pissed that my child has been sick multiple times because of these assholes not wanting to go do their filthy habit outdoors! Also, I walked by their window and on the window ledge of their kids room is a nebulizer treatment 'igloo' case. How do I know that's what it is? Because my kid had to get one, too! 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Replies (111-120):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

DON'T YOU MEAN "UNLIKE THESE DISABLED FOLKS" Putting down disabled people for not being able to work is like putting down a quadriplegic for not being able to walk. YOU ARE IGNORANT!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

a previous poster gave her this same advice...she doesnt want to leave...just wants to bitch about her neighbors that SMOKE OUTSIDE. Thats all good and fine, but to get on here and trash them, calling them lazy because they are disabled....wtf? She makes me SICK!!!

Quoting Torihoney5njn:

Why not cite this reason to break your lease early? I doubt a landlord will want a potential medical issue on his hands if it can be avoided by letting you leave...

Well it would be great if we could leave early, but my dh has a job unlike these folks who live below us, and his job doesn't end until september, so we will leave then. For now it would be nice if we could open our windows without getting smoked out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM

omg shut up!

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM
2 moms liked this
That's bull. We smoke out on our porch, and our AC is right there. I have watched smoke blow directly at the AC, and even with the current heat wave, and our AC running almost constantly, our apartment never smells like smoke.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HotMichMomma:

Wait a minute, the deck is outside right? Your a/c should be filtered for one and two, you want them to smoke inside with their children? Honestly you just have to put up until you move and if you choose to move into another multiple family complex this is something you may still have to face. You can not expect to take or have management take the rights of a tenant away inside their residence just because you don't like it.

There is a parking lot that the manager told them they could go down to. No, don't smoke in front of kids! I never said that! I just want to be able to run the a/c or have the windows open. It doesn't matter if there is a filter, it still smells like shit when you run the ac because there is smoky air outside.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittanyjenean
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM

It is made worse, not CAUSED by smoke.  

Ugh.....I wish I lived in another time frame.  I'm sorry but everyone is just too over the top about EVERYTHING these days.  There have been major medical breakthroughs, I'll agree with that, but damn. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting brittanyjenean:

*facepalm* RSV is a virus. It is contagious and in adults it can seem like the common cold but is more severe for children. DD had RSV before she turned one and had to be a breathalyzer for a while. I smoke BUT NEVER around my child. We smoke outside all the time, even in the winter. RSV is not caused from smoking.

RSV is made worse by second hand smoke. Read some literature on it.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/rsv-respiratory-syncycial-virus

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Quoting brittanyjenean:

Ugh.....I wish I lived in another time frame.  I'm sorry but everyone is just too over the top about EVERYTHING these days.  There have been major medical breakthroughs, I'll agree with that, but damn. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting brittanyjenean:

*facepalm* RSV is a virus. It is contagious and in adults it can seem like the common cold but is more severe for children. DD had RSV before she turned one and had to be a breathalyzer for a while. I smoke BUT NEVER around my child. We smoke outside all the time, even in the winter. RSV is not caused from smoking.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/rsv-respiratory-syncycial-virus

Yes, I never said that they caused her illnesses directly, obviously I am not an idiot. I was told by her PEDIATRICIAN TO KEEP HER AWAY FROM SMOKERS WHEN SHE WAS ILL.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Have a neighbor that smokes outside and if our windows are open, especially upstairs it fills the house. It sucks because the upstairs window is my son's room. Their deck they smoke on is just a few feet from my son's window. It sucks. A lot. There's nothing I can do about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM

oh Brittanyjenean, (pretty name BTW!!) they dont want to read any facts! They want to spout uneducated guesses and then get mad when people prove them wrong.

Quoting brittanyjenean:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting brittanyjenean:

DuchessScrat
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I'm so sorry!  I would hate this.  I'm deathly allergic to tobacco and have asthma, awesome combo.  Keep bitching till your lease is up and don't let up.  I will not hangout with anyone who smokes near their children, in their house or in their car.  I make my own mother leave the property to smoke and she must change shirts before handling my kids.  These nasty sickos shouldn't smoke at all if there child has respiratory issues.  Even what a smoker leaves on their clothes is enough to make children sick!

stephjohn
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM

No we don't smoke in the house or cars. I only smoke like two a day and go outside when I do.

pink_angel85
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I TOTALLY know how you with this. I used to live along side of smokers on two different ocassions. It is a very annoying and obnoxious smell to have to deal with. I am very much against smoking. Even if I am out in public and someone decides to light up and smoke right by me and is rude enough to blow it my way I am not afraid to say something. I sure do hope that you can get this resolved. This is definately NOT a good situation to be in for you or your family.

Quoting Anonymous:

So this is going to be anonymous because I don't know if they are on here and don't want to chance it, but need to get this off my chest!

My nasty neighbor goes out on his deck constantly to smoke. His wife, too. They have 3 kids and live in a 2 bedroom apartment below us. The only place you are allowed to smoke on our complex is the deck, and theirs is directly below ours. The air conditioner is also right on there. So if I open the windows or turn the a/c on, our house gets filled with sick smelling cheap ass cigarette odors. 

I know what cigarette addiction is like, I smoked for years before I got married and grew up. I know it is hard to quit. The annoying thing is, DD has had multiple illnesses since these losers have moved in, and they have all been RSV, croup, and other respiratory viruses! I complained to the apartment managers and they told them that they had permission to smoke elsewhere, so that we could turn our ac on or open the windows. They complied for a week. 

If you are just going to get on here and say "well then just move" guess what, we have a lease and as soon as it is up we will! 

If you are a smoker, do you do it in front of your children? Why would you? I am so beyond pissed that my child has been sick multiple times because of these assholes not wanting to go do their filthy habit outdoors! Also, I walked by their window and on the window ledge of their kids room is a nebulizer treatment 'igloo' case. How do I know that's what it is? Because my kid had to get one, too! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)