Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does Anybody Else's School Do This? I'm Asking Because I REALLY Wanna Know

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM
  • 489 Replies
1 mom liked this

Yesterday as I was getting ready to go out the door to buy our fireworks and snacks and stuff for 4th of July, I got a call from the school, asking me to pick up homework for my son who will be entering 7th grade. 

So I was "homework????? Are you serious?"  I thought it was just something for him to do that was optional but guess not. 

He has an algebra book, and a thick packet of geography to do and have turned in on the first day of school!  School here in Jay, Oklahoma starts August 13th. 

I do not like this at all.  Of course he's balking and I don't blame him. I picked this up at the superintendent's office yesterday afternoon and they said if he does it, it accounts for a quarter of his whole grade for the course, and it's not some optional thing, it's mandatory.  They said he'll have less work to do over the course of the school year if he does it.  

Doesn't this stupid school understand that is not going to fly with a lot of kids?  I'm making my son sit here on the 4th of July, doing algebra homework that he does not understand, and the teacher didn't leave any phone number or anything where he could call for help. No, of course not. They don't want to work over the summer vacation, obviously. 

Kids have summer camp and all sorts of things to do over the summer.  Because he has to do this, when I take my family vacation to Montana at the end of this month, I literally have to drag all this homework to Montana with us on our family vacation so he can get this done by the first day of school deadline, and keep him caught up.  So instead of vacationing, he'll have to be doing homework for a class he's not even in yet.  I do not like this at all.  Believe me, the school board will be hearing from me about this. I have to wonder how many kids will actually do this or how many parents will make their kids do it?  If any kids in addition to my son turn it in, I'll be surprised. 

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sissyboogs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids aren't in school yet, but that sounds crazy to me! 

I had homework to complete before the first day of nursing school, but that's totally different. 

Braydens_Mama11
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM
4 moms liked this
I've never heard of thar. And that is dumb as hell!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaken1976
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM
8 moms liked this
I believe I would have said we are out of state for the summer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wydowness
by Kusabi on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM
My brothers all have work packs for the summer. As well as my sister, shes in Kinder
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anetrnlov
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM
10 moms liked this

I do not see the big deal but then again we homeschool all year around.

Doing school through out the summer helps decrease the amount of review that has to be done at the start of the year which allows them to get in more new information during the year.

littleacorn
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM
My oldest son's soon to be former school does that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM
2 moms liked this
I have never heard of that. That is insane
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaydeesLaydee
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Well I did tell them that and they said it still had to be done, it counts for a major chunk of his grade. 

Quoting Shaken1976:

I believe I would have said we are out of state for the summer.

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I wish I had that. Algebra was hard for me to get after a while. I also loved homework, kept me busy so I didn't have to interact with anyone, unless it was asking for help on said homework (and most of the time I didn't get it).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine257
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Never heard of anything like that I would be pissed that is his vacation time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)