Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does Anybody Else's School Do This? I'm Asking Because I REALLY Wanna Know

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday as I was getting ready to go out the door to buy our fireworks and snacks and stuff for 4th of July, I got a call from the school, asking me to pick up homework for my son who will be entering 7th grade. 

So I was "homework????? Are you serious?"  I thought it was just something for him to do that was optional but guess not. 

He has an algebra book, and a thick packet of geography to do and have turned in on the first day of school!  School here in Jay, Oklahoma starts August 13th. 

I do not like this at all.  Of course he's balking and I don't blame him. I picked this up at the superintendent's office yesterday afternoon and they said if he does it, it accounts for a quarter of his whole grade for the course, and it's not some optional thing, it's mandatory.  They said he'll have less work to do over the course of the school year if he does it.  

Doesn't this stupid school understand that is not going to fly with a lot of kids?  I'm making my son sit here on the 4th of July, doing algebra homework that he does not understand, and the teacher didn't leave any phone number or anything where he could call for help. No, of course not. They don't want to work over the summer vacation, obviously. 

Kids have summer camp and all sorts of things to do over the summer.  Because he has to do this, when I take my family vacation to Montana at the end of this month, I literally have to drag all this homework to Montana with us on our family vacation so he can get this done by the first day of school deadline, and keep him caught up.  So instead of vacationing, he'll have to be doing homework for a class he's not even in yet.  I do not like this at all.  Believe me, the school board will be hearing from me about this. I have to wonder how many kids will actually do this or how many parents will make their kids do it?  If any kids in addition to my son turn it in, I'll be surprised. 

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Replies (421-430):
Jess0915
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM
Wow, ridiculous. All my kids ever had during the summer was reading, and it wasn't mandetory, they could do during the schoolyear if they didn't want to during the summer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.KitKat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Quoting jediGert:

Ugh, I was under the impression you did homework to reinforce what the TEACHER TAUGHT IN CLASS.

How the heck do they expect him to know the materail if he's not learned it yet?  WTF.  I'd start going to PTA meetings and raise a stink if I were you.

I have a strong suspiscion that the kid knew about this math packet loooong before mom and also the kid was taught all that is in the packet and now feigning stupidity to get out of the work because he knows mom will go to bat for him instead of actually doing the work and preparing for the upcoming school year. I wonder if the OP will also go to the kid's boss when he is 30 complaining the boss makes her son work too much over time.

It's time the kid grows up and mans up already.

anetrnlov
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting jediGert:

Ugh, I was under the impression you did homework to reinforce what the TEACHER TAUGHT IN CLASS.

How the heck do they expect him to know the materail if he's not learned it yet?  WTF.  I'd start going to PTA meetings and raise a stink if I were you.

I have a strong suspiscion that the kid knew about this math packet loooong before mom and also the kid was taught all that is in the packet and now feigning stupidity to get out of the work because he knows mom will go to bat for him instead of actually doing the work and preparing for the upcoming school year. I wonder if the OP will also go to the kid's boss when he is 30 complaining the boss makes her son work too much over time.

Not to mention that kids start learning map skills in first grade and she's already said he leared integers last year and the kid signed up for honors Algebra and it is VERY common for honors classes to expect extra work.

jediGert
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Oh I don't doubt that one bit BUT I'd still have a conversation with the Principle about WHEN, WHY, etc.  I'd like to hope she already did that and knows when the kid actually knew he had to do this and if he had the schooling to follow through.

So while it's very possible her kid lied, it's also possible he did not.  We don't really know without talking to the school. 

Personally though, I'm with you, I'd be ticked at my kid if he pulled that stunt but I'd be ticked at the school if the kid either didn't know or they told him in passing and didn't send a reminder home to the parents about it on their own.  Because lets face it, at the end of the school year, who's really thinking about their summer packet?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting jediGert:

kquad
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:31 AM

My two older kids school had something like that a couple times, but it allowed them to work ahead and the teacher was available the whole summer.  (Private school)  Both my kids were able to get their high school algebra credit in 8th grade because of it.

kellybelly95
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM

My children both have a summer packet to do. My dsaughter is going into 4th grade and hers is optional. My son is going into 7th and his is mandatory but it is only one book report from a list of books they provided. It has to be very detailed but still its only one book. I am having them both do it. It should only be about 20 minutes a day and they should be done before school starts.

Ms.KitKat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting anetrnlov:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting jediGert:

Not to mention that kids start learning map skills in first grade and she's already said he leared integers last year and the kid signed up for honors Algebra and it is VERY common for honors classes to expect extra work.

oh- ok- I missed that part-coming in late. of course- honors classes have higher expectations. THIS is why I could never be a teacher. I love the kids but the parents would drive me INSANE!!!!!!! with all their belly-aching.

StudentofLife
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM

My children aren't in school full time yet but I think over a month to get all that work done is sufficient. I think it's good that they keep a sharp mind over the summer and have to think a bit.

Ms.KitKat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I am thinking of the summer packet. I know to expect it and I also know where to find it before the school year ends (moodle) so that if I or my chidlren have any questions, the teachers are available for any questions.

Quoting jediGert:

Oh I don't doubt that one bit BUT I'd still have a conversation with the Principle about WHEN, WHY, etc.  I'd like to hope she already did that and knows when the kid actually knew he had to do this and if he had the schooling to follow through.

So while it's very possible her kid lied, it's also possible he did not.  We don't really know without talking to the school. 

Personally though, I'm with you, I'd be ticked at my kid if he pulled that stunt but I'd be ticked at the school if the kid either didn't know or they told him in passing and didn't send a reminder home to the parents about it on their own.  Because lets face it, at the end of the school year, who's really thinking about their summer packet?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting jediGert:

kybelle
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:42 AM
That is insane! I would definitely be complaining to the school board!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured