Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I'm curious if your state holds a black expo? I have a friend who looked at me like I was crazy when I told her a out it. I just assumed all states have them.

So do you have them? If so do you attend?

I don't personally because I kid you not someone always gets shot/stabbed/beat up over some stupid shit. They have triple the police versus the state fair. It's a giant cluster fuck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Replies (91-96):
cherrywaves21
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:05 AM
The ones I'm reading about sound awesome! I think based on where they hold the expo it has a lot to do with the outcome as well.

Quoting MahgonayMom:

Atlanta has one. It's not just a health fair. It's a way to network, learn of new businesses, obtain educational information, see new and old artist, etc.

Atlanta also has a Sister to Sister- does the same thing but geared toward businesses ran by African American woman.

They don't get out of hand! Family orient.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Have you been to those lately?   I went just to the stuff they were doing outside the track and while blacks were still a minority there, I saw a lot more than I expected to.  Around here, blacks just don't seem to get up a head of steam for tracks and mopar - well unless they are the ones doing the racing.  Latinos too - although they were practically non-existant in June.

Quoting all_4_my_son:

Indy does have a white expo....its called the Brickyard 400, LOL....

Quoting dizzy77702:

If it was a white expo people would be up in arms crying kkk revival or something. Lmfao.

2KoolMama
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know.  My husband lived downtown Indy in the 90's.  He said he'd get people up in his face at stoplights saying "WTF are you doing here, you don't belong here" (and that's putting it nicely).  He was just trying to get home from work.  So I think it's always been rowdy.

Quoting cherrywaves21:

I grew up on the eastside of Indy. My friend lives out that way and that's when she takes her vacation. She can't stand all the racket and cursing. From my understanding the expo used to be awesomeness but now the teens and 20 something's with attitude took it over.

Quoting 2KoolMama:

No, I'm not right next too it but I'm close enough (Eastside Indy).  There just happens to be a motorcycle rally in Southern Indiana the same week every year that we attend.  We have several friends who are IMPD and they are required to work that week.  No vacations!  It gets totally out of hand every year and someone is always shot.  I don't understand the behavior.  It's an Expo to celebrate Black Heritage.  Why not celebrate instead of acting a fool?   

Quoting cherrywaves21:

I take it you live next to it? :)

Quoting 2KoolMama:

I'm in Indianapolis too.  I go out of town every year during the Black Expo. 

Quoting cherrywaves21:

I'm in Indianapolis lol!

Quoting Threescoops:

Yes, Indianapolis does, and that's how ours does every year too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM
my 60something year old dad had this happen to him the other day. He was just trying to find an ATM machine, but that's how a lot of Houston is.

Quoting 2KoolMama:

I don't know.  My husband lived downtown Indy in the 90's.  He said he'd get people up in his face at stoplights saying "WTF are you doing here, you don't belong here" (and that's putting it nicely).  He was just trying to get home from work.  So I think it's always been rowdy.

Quoting cherrywaves21:

I grew up on the eastside of Indy. My friend lives out that way and that's when she takes her vacation. She can't stand all the racket and cursing. From my understanding the expo used to be awesomeness but now the teens and 20 something's with attitude took it over.

Quoting 2KoolMama:

No, I'm not right next too it but I'm close enough (Eastside Indy).  There just happens to be a motorcycle rally in Southern Indiana the same week every year that we attend.  We have several friends who are IMPD and they are required to work that week.  No vacations!  It gets totally out of hand every year and someone is always shot.  I don't understand the behavior.  It's an Expo to celebrate Black Heritage.  Why not celebrate instead of acting a fool?   

Quoting cherrywaves21:

I take it you live next to it? :)

Quoting 2KoolMama:

I'm in Indianapolis too.  I go out of town every year during the Black Expo. 

Quoting cherrywaves21:

I'm in Indianapolis lol!

Quoting Threescoops:

Jade89
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Lmao.

Quoting Anonymous:

LoL whtite Asian Hispanic people can go too...you dont have to prove your blackness at the gate.

Quoting Jade89:

Oooh, we don't have all black ones here, but they do health expos, everyone can go

Quoting cherrywaves21:

I'm not a 100% but I believe it's supposed to be educational and have free health screenings with games and prizes. It's the state fair pretty much but focuses on the health issues black people face.

Quoting Jade89:

Wth is that?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threescoops
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 6:49 PM
I am on East off of I 70. Like you I have never actually inquired or learned who is from Indy on here.

Quoting cherrywaves21:

I live on the southside near southport.

Quoting all_4_my_son:

I'm over on the Westside, near 30th and Georgetown.

Quoting cherrywaves21:

This is so funny! I've been on this site awhile and last night met a mom from

Indy and now I find two more! Lol

Quoting all_4_my_son:

I'm in Indy also....

Quoting cherrywaves21:

I'm in Indianapolis lol!

Quoting Threescoops:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN