Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I make my 4 yo DD rescue me from bugs

Posted by   + Show Post
Im not sure how I got so lucky but my DD loves all creatures and bits of nature, big and small.

We take walks and she has to stop to hug rocks and trees. :)

We don't have any pets and aren't allowed any so DD tends to show her affection to her stuffed animals and baby dolls, as well as any creepy crawlies she finds inside and outside.

She was at my mom's and was making a bug habitat out of various pieces of wood from the deck my stepdad was making. She adorned it and stuffed it with leaves for decoration and a bed for the bugs. When she finished, she had a spider on her arm so she picked it up and put it inside the habitat, no squealing or squirming.

I just found a beetle inside and she picked it up and brought it outside for me.

She's learning what spiders are poisonous and always asks to pick it up if she finds a new creature. She learned a few weeks ago that bees don't like being picked up and cuddled.

She's also helped a few friends get over their fear of bugs, simply by being unafraid herself.

My 4 yo is less afraid of insects and bugs then I am. She makes friends with slugs, caterpillars, June bugs, ants, worms, beetle, spiders, etc etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:29 AM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I am the biggest baby when it comes to bug, spiders--especially wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, etc!!!! Last spring, my DD who was 3 at the time, was up at my mom's house. She saw a fly and she started screaming and running around crazy!! She thought it was a bee!! My mom calmed her down and said, "Its ok!! That is Freddy!! Freddy the fly!! He won't hurt you. He just came inside to say hello!" ROFL!! ROFL!! Then--when there's more than one fly in the house, it becomes Freddy and his wife Freda!! LOL!! LOL!! LOL!! My DD STILL talks to the flies and calls them Freddy and Freda and she doesn't scream any more!! TOO FUNNY!!

I know a young lady whose 10-years-old and is not afraid of spiders or bees or anything!!! She was at my mom's house one day while I was there, and there was a wasp flying around in my mom's window!! I asked this young lady if she could PLEASE get the wasp out of my mom's house. She said, "Yes." She went and got a sweater, and put it over the wasp, carried the sweater outside, shook out the sweater and away went the wasp!! I wish I wasn't such a baby about insects!!!  :  0

ICPclwnLOV
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Lol. I make my six year old save me from birds and the occasional mice, if the cats don't get to them first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aleta775
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd loves bugs too. She will be 3 next week. She once brought me a huge spider that she squashed. She was trying to play with it. She brought it too me and said, "Mommy. It's broken. Fix it." It was dead and she wanted me to fix it so she could keep playing with it. I took it from her (in a paper towel), and when she wasn't looking I flicked it outside. When she asked about it later, I said that the spider had to go home for supper. She bought it. Whew.

Mbpeaceful12
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:36 PM

That is great! You may have a scientist on your hands! There are various programs at musuems, such as The Natural History Musuem and Discovery Center that extends learning. Perhaps you can check it out for her.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM

My DD is scared of bugs!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:02 PM

thats super cute!

DS used to be my bug-saver... til he started to enjoy how much i HATE them and get scared of them... so he'd rather just watch me scream than save me. the butt! lol but he's more of a "kill them all" kind of boy

Leobaby2007
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Wow. I am terrified of all of those things and have unfortunately rubbed off on my son. We do have scorpions and rattlesnakes out here so I had to put some fear into him...
LectioDivina
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM

My daughter will not save you....

She will start screaming and convulsing until she falls over.

cherryblosso883
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM

You have an awesome daughter!

Danie90
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Cute!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)