Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anti Depressants - Edit

Posted by   + Show Post

May I ask what you take and if you have tried others in the past that didn't work and why?

I'm on Celexa, but I hate it. It makes me want to do NOTHING. At this point I think its actually worse than just being depressed. I tried Wellbutrin, but I'm allergic. But it actually helped. I go back to the doc on the 18th and just wondering if others have been through this and something has worked really well? I know its different for everyone.

EDIT - I had forgotten about this post.  We figured out I am not actually allergic to Wellbutrin because long after I stopped it the rashes continued (which my doc thinks are just stress induced.  I break out in hives and an hour later it is gone).  So I talked to my doctor and told him I wanted to stop the Celexa.  He said that we would wean off that and go back on the Wellbutrin and once I was off of the Celexa he would put me on the "target" dose of Wellbutrin for depression.  He also prescribed an anxiety pill.  I already feel better and am losing weight again.  Thank God. 

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Replies (11-20):
KyahZia
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM
I have had depression for 18 yrs after a bad car accident. I have tried nearly every anti depressant on the market and stopped trying more and just went without for a number of years. After quitting my job I decided to try again as it wasn't fair on my 2 year old daughter and my dh. I have now been taking Dothiepin Hydrocloride (Dothep / Prothiedin) and I've felt the best in years. I am currently pregnant and enjoying it this time round and looking forward to having my son.
supernoodle2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM
The quack at our clinic said I was bipolar and put my on 300mg lithium 40mg. Prozac and 3mg. Clonopin (sp?) everyday. I was so drugged up I don't remember months of my life. My friends convinced me they were making me lose my mind (which they were) I pretty much had a break down and completely destroyed my life while on them. Then 2 yrs later after alot of stuff went on with my ex dh I was having panic attacks and stuff again. The dr (different one) decided to put me on Prozac and clonopin(sp) not even 3 weeks later.. I tried to kill myself after a fight w/my ex. I have been in therapy and I have had a full psychological evaluation since then. I have ptsd (not even close to bipolar) and I cannot take anti depressants because on all the crazy side effects. I would be careful and read up on any meds you take and make sure you really have what the Dr is telling you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kngarber
by Katie on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM
I have depression. I really don't even need a doc to tell me. I'm sure of it. I've battled with it for many many years. That is horrible what you went through :(

Quoting supernoodle2:

The quack at our clinic said I was bipolar and put my on 300mg lithium 40mg. Prozac and 3mg. Clonopin (sp?) everyday. I was so drugged up I don't remember months of my life. My friends convinced me they were making me lose my mind (which they were) I pretty much had a break down and completely destroyed my life while on them. Then 2 yrs later after alot of stuff went on with my ex dh I was having panic attacks and stuff again. The dr (different one) decided to put me on Prozac and clonopin(sp) not even 3 weeks later.. I tried to kill myself after a fight w/my ex. I have been in therapy and I have had a full psychological evaluation since then. I have ptsd (not even close to bipolar) and I cannot take anti depressants because on all the crazy side effects. I would be careful and read up on any meds you take and make sure you really have what the Dr is telling you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma_gig
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:35 AM

i've only ever tried 2. first i was put on prozac, and it helped immensely, but i started having migraines from it. so my doctor switched me over to zoloft... which did nothing. i currently don't take anything.  

ms.sophsmom
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM
I'm on Wellbutrin... the first couple days I was soooo mellow- I liked it lol but now I dunno if its working or not. I get alot of dizziness and headaches from it/forgetting to take it. I dunno if I'll try anything else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM

i'm not sure what you have but i was suffering from anxiety and a bunch of other things.  my psychiatrist told me that the meds will be working when my anxiety began to lift and after a week of being on zoloft, he did.

this is why i suggest to those who are taking anti-depressants to see a psychiatrist who is able to give you a proper diagnosis wrt medicine and what to expect.  they are medically trained to understand how your illness is affecting you from a physiological AND  psychological perspective.  therapists, while beneficial for many,  don't have the medical background or intense professional medical training. 

i think therapists are good once you are properly diagnosed (by a psychiatrist) and either on your way to recover or have been successfully treated -- therapy in this form is good to maintain 'balance' after you've been successfullly treated by a psychiatrist.    again, just my two cents/based on my experience. 

if thigns are crazy for you, perhaps it's better to see a psychiatrist first and then after a while, switch to a therapist. 

Quoting kngarber:

It's been 3 months. I see my GP and a therapist. Not a psychiatrist though. I probably should....bc this is getting a bit crazy.

Quoting itsm3:

are you going to a psychiatrist for your meds?  i think people should go to a trained professional (psychiatrist) to get anti-depressants because once they hear what's going on with you and your medical history, they would know what meds to prescribe with the least amount of side-effects.

i was on zoloft.. i didn't have to switch at all.  zoloft really helped me... i also saw my psychiatrist weekly as part of my treatment plan.

i've heard many bad things about celexa; some of my friends were on it and the majority of them didn't adjust at all.  it's normal to have about a week of side effects (my side effects were horrible but after a week it passed) and it's normal to experience side effects because your body is adjusting to the meds.  

however, if you aren't adjusting and it's been weeks or months, that means the meds aren't working for you.  

i would advise to see a psychiatrist than a regular GP to get prescribed... GPs aren't trained in mental illness but they can just write a script.  it may save you the hassle of switching meds but you have to give the meds time to work.. i'd say 2wks tops.

good lukc

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

Lachrymose
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I was tried on almost all of them.  Seriously.  It has screwed up my body and brain.  I did all of that only to find out that it wasn't just depression... it was PMDD.  Some of the AD's are recommended for PMDD but they rarely work for it. 

I feel completely ripped off that so much of my life was wasted in a drug fog.  :(  I always went into appointments saying, "It all started when my periods started."  HELLO.  RED FLAG.  No one connected the dots.  I had to figure it out myself. 

If none of the AD's are working, look at your cycles or other parts of your system (thyroid, etc.).  And don't buy into all the misinformation about PMDD.  It's not always linked to the luteal phase or happens BEFORE menstruation.  Mine (and a lot of other women who go undiagnosed because of this textbook explanation) typically happens DURING my period and ONLY IF I'm bleeding that month.

:)  Good luck!

supernoodle2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM
I have depression too there is a technical term for it but I have delt with it since I was little. Dysthimic (sp?) Disorder I think is what it is called, but I have felt with it on n off since I was young. I just can't take anti depression meds because they make me so much worse. Therapy has really helped me alot and the center I go to I have no health insurance so its $5 everytime I go.

Quoting kngarber:

I have depression. I really don't even need a doc to tell me. I'm sure of it. I've battled with it for many many years. That is horrible what you went through :(

Quoting supernoodle2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM
i started welbutrin xl a week ago, and i have felt nothing...im ready to give up on it :(
Ris_n_Es_momma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Cymbalta
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)