Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I punish my kids by taking food away...*EDIT*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When my kids get into food without asking, I punish them by giving their innocent siblings a treat. Normally muffins or something else tlhat we don't have very often.

This morning my 4 year old ate half a pizza to himself, so I gave my 5 year old and 2 year old a muffin and cereal for breakfast.

My kids aren't starved by any means, if I feel they didn't eat anything they got into they get something to eat. My 4 year old waits to hear my DH leave for work, and he gets up and pillages until I get up, normally only 15-30 mins later.

This is what works for me, and what some would call me a bad mother for. The way I see it, is they have already eaten and should be full from their raid.

*ETA my 4 year old is the only one who overindulges and he doesn't have anxiety issues or anything. He has a sensory problem, he doesn't feel full EVER.

The plan for the pizza was lunch, apparently that plan went out the window. There were 3 pieces missing from a large little ceasars pepperoni pizza, there are only 2 left now.

Also I was not sleeping, I was getting dressed and using the bathroom, and getting my 2 year old up, and ready. I never said I was sleeping for that extra 15-30 mins.

This is what works. As soon as he has raided and his siblings get a treat (muffins, pancakes, etc) he doesn't raid again for at least a week, just really depends on how bad he wanted the treat.

He isn't starving and yes he already has an eating problem, I'm working on it. How I do that is I let him know when he is full. He eats one plate of food and depending on how much was on it, he gets a second plate with a little less on it, and then he is done.

My 4 year old weighs 39 pounds, he isn't overweight by any means. So this is what I have found that works.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Replies (41-48):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Well, you didn't exactly tell us everything about the situation, did you? You intentionally misled us just to get replies. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM

It doesn't matter if you're sleeping or not.  If he only does this in the 15-30 lapse between your DH leaving and you coming out then you need to get out before he does.  Get up earlier so you're dressed and ready before he comes out of his room.  Lord knows what else he could get into while you're getting ready in the morning.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Anything poisonous or dangerous is locked away. The only things he can get into is food.

Quoting Anonymous:

It doesn't matter if you're sleeping or not.  If he only does this in the 15-30 lapse between your DH leaving and you coming out then you need to get out before he does.  Get up earlier so you're dressed and ready before he comes out of his room.  Lord knows what else he could get into while you're getting ready in the morning.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I didn't figure my sons issue was need to know information. Besides that, there are still going to be people who no matter what don't agree with my parenting decision. I just figured I would share a confession since I generally don't...

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, you didn't exactly tell us everything about the situation, did you? You intentionally misled us just to get replies. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM

It's just that it makes more sense in what you are doing knowing that there is a medical condition.  

And you are right about people's opinions. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't figure my sons issue was need to know information. Besides that, there are still going to be people who no matter what don't agree with my parenting decision. I just figured I would share a confession since I generally don't...

Quoting Anonymous:

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Not something I would do. 

donna_noble
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM

this. 

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Food should never be used as punishment in any way.

aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Great parenting skills you got
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)