Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Coconut oil for skin/hair?

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM
  • 17 Replies
so I hear all the raves about coconut oil. It is supposed to be good for hair, skin and suggested to eat once a day.
Has anyone heard of this? If you use this, how do you apply it to your skin/hair since it comes as a solid?
How do you eat this stuff also?
Or is there an alternative oil that you like better for your hair/skin (olive oil, avocado oil, etc)?

I have pretty dry, pale skin and wavy, thick (often frizzy) hair if that helps with any suggestions.

Thanks ladies ;)

"They may forget what you've said, but they'll never forget how you made them feel. "  ~Anonymous

by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alwayskk
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM
I've heard of it, I'm scared to try it. I have read that coconut oil can block pores. I use a mixture of olive oil, castor oil, jojoba and white camphoe oil on my skin and it is more clear than ever. I use a high quality sulfate free herbal shampoo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christaberk
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM
You can cook using it instead of vegetable oil. It also melts easily, so I use it as a lotion on my legs, arms, and hands. Better than baby oil for cradle cap.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dilateyourmind
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

So is olive oil. Getting away from all the chemicals in crap is always a good idea!

chris13
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

coconut oil is suppose to great for skin and hair especially thoes dealing with eczema. but you need to find virgin or first press coconut oil which can be very expensive.  

yayay15
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM
I use it to cook. I have put it on sunburns and scars but it's too oily to put all over me. My MIL uses it for everything. She has really nice skin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BeAmy
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I tried that but after a month there was no difference for me. I use Dabur Amla Oil for my hair..its green, smell is not bad, not wonderful either. I warm it for 10 seconds in the microwave so it feels good and massage it into my scalp before bed. It takes about 10 mins to do this, and it feels great. My hair became MUCH longer faster, and very strong, shiny, alittle fuller. I absolutely love this product.

For skin, definately I use Mustard Oil. Put it on an hour or two before you go into a hot shower or bath. It made my streatch marks less visible, it made my skin softer and sometimes I notice the skin does glow more. Yes, when you put on mustard oil your skin will tint deep yellow color but it disappears with water. It feels great though.

This is what I do. Good luck

cmack40487
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM
It turns to liquid at around 75 degrees. I keep a jar in my bathroom so that it's melted by the time infer out of the shower. Use it just like you would lotion, a little goes a long way. For your hair, you can run a tiny bit between your palms and run it through the tips of your hair with your fingers. For a deep conditioning, I wash my hair, ring out the excess water, use te coconut oil as a conditioner and let it set for five minutes. Then I wash my hair again with a very small amount of shampoo to get the excess oil off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CookieMom108
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I use coconut oil once a week on my hair and it makes it so soft and shiney!  No, I don't eat it.  lol.  The kind I buy comes in a jar and it's solid so I scoop some into a glass bowl and set that into a larger bowl filled with hot water till the coconut oil becomes liquid-y.  Then I just work it through my hair till it's saturated (especially the ends which are really dry), use a wide tooth comb to distribute the oil, put a plastic shower cap on and let it sit for about an hour.  Then shampoo and condition as usual.  It's made a huge difference in my hair!  Especially in the winter when it gets really dry.  I've used olive oil in the past also, but prefer coconut oil for my hair. As for my skin, I will usually rub in whatever is left over after I put it on my hair, on my feet and wear socks till it's time to get in the shower.  Makes them nice and smooth also. 

Tasloley
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM
It's amazing, but make sure you use organic extra virgin coconut oil. I get mine from vitacost.com.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrinceMomma486
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

My last pregnancy, I actually found a really awesome blend of oils for stretch marks that had coconut and almond oil....this was my fourth child and it actually helped my skin tone up a lot just from using it for one pregnancy! Not sure about using it with hair though, I think someone told me that olive oil was better for my hair texture.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN