Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So mad I am shaking

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 278 Replies

OKay.  So we moved out of our house at the end of May.  It was a rental.  Today I got the letter asking for money for damages.  They have to be high.  

First they are charging me $3200 for materials for paint.....then $2500 for paint labor....  There was nothing wrong with the paint except in ONE room and there it was just the door jam.  The rest of the paint was fine and had no damage.  I have pictures that attest to that.

Second they are charging me $3200 for 10 year old carpet.  Yes the carpet was damaged....but it was not perfect when we moved in.  When we blacklighted the carpet right after moving in...we found all kinds of stains and we did our best to clean it...but our dog still smelled it and would pee in one room.  We always cleaned it up immediately and broke him of it.  

Then he is charging us $650 for cleaning.  I hired a professional to clean the house.  I sent him an e-mail that if there were any problems he was to call me as they had a gaurantee.  AND I have pictures...the house was not dirty.

He says I have 10 days to pay $8500.  I don't have $8500 and I don't agree with the charges.  This is CRAP.

ETA....  The house was 2800 square feet.  I lived in it for three years.  They are in the process of selling the house in a neighborhood where all the houses are overpriced and many have been for sale for months on end.  As for the paint like I said...only one room needed to be painted...and it really needed to painted when we moved in.  Also...after reading...he never did a premove walk through with me.  I saw the house through another real estate agent.  I never met him until we had been there six months.

No real new updates....I spoke to a lawyer and he is drafting a letter.....still waiting on it. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM
6 moms liked this
In florida, the law is carpet has to be changed by the owner every SIX YEARS!
dilateyourmind
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM
66 moms liked this

TYPICAL scammers..tell them see ya in court then.  You have the pictures and the receipts to prove you hired the cleaning company. be big mouthed, cocky and adament that you will not be scammed by them. I did and it worked for me many moons ago. If he is dumb enough to take it to court, he would not win. How many square feet is the house?

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM
23 moms liked this
Take him to court (or at least threaten to, but be ready to follow through). With rentals a certain amount of wear and tear is expected... Sounds like he's trying to hit you for the remodel, and his charges are totally out of line.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM
9 moms liked this
Deep breath:)

You did a good job of cleaning, and I'm glad you took pics. You have the receipt from the cleaning company, right?

This may end up going to small claims, I think you will win.

That is way too much money for paint. Was it a big place?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM
8 moms liked this
Court. Bring your photos! This is why I always take before and after pictures
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherofzandz
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Did you pay a deposit? Did he give you the deposit back? If he gave you the deposit back or if you forfeit your deposit for cleaning cost either way you should be covered .
shell3m
by Shell on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM
7 moms liked this

sounds like he wants to pump you for the money to updo his rental so after all the clean up he can charge more   OR he's just money hungry and wants as much money out of you as possible.  He probably has done this will several people before.   :(  I would say fine, see you in court.  Since you have prove that you did NOT trash out the house.  :)

tazdvl
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM
3 moms liked this
They can't charge for normal wear and tear, tell him you won't pay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gravitygirl1984
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Deep breath and say goosfraba :) that really does suck for charges that high the place would've had to be totally trashed and lots of damage! Fight them all the way cuz that's ridiculous! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM
5 moms liked this
I'd ask for receipts, especially on the painting. DH is a painter, and his company has NEVER bid that high for materials or labor. Even on the larger high end houses they do materials aren't that high, and labor is general paid $3.00 a sq ft. That's ridiculous, I'd take your pictures to court.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)