Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Foodstamps got cut back...Meal Ideas on a Budget????

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 130 Replies

Our family's foodstamps got cut to $500 a month...I'm so upset because I feel like I'm never going to be able to feed a family of five on this..help!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:42 AM
That's plenty for a family of 5 IMO.
How old are the kids?
Lots of beans, less meat. Try to cut out all junk. All the little little "treats" add up fast.
Buy sale items and plan your meals around those for the week.
Coupon. A few cents saved here and there add up. You don't need to be an extreme couponer to save. Just look through the flyers in your mailbox and clip the things that you normally buy and try to match the coupon to a sale.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittani
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Make things from scratch you can easily make biscuits and perogie a and casseroles for really cheap. The convinece food is what kills ya. Stuff like frozen meals pancakes waffles. All that stuff costs a lot more than what it would cost to make it. I'm insanely good at saving money and I think it's fun actually. I'd love to help pm me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liltdanh
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Apparently you need to get a clue! Feeding 5 people for 500 bucks a month is easy if you shp for stuff on sale like normal people do. Try Aldi too if you have it in your area. Also, if you can't feed your family for that much a month you need to cut back on the junk you are buying. There's apparently too much snacks or pre prepared convince stuff. I feed my family of four on less then 375 a month and we eat like kings. Yes, fresh produce can be expensive but also trying o get from farmers markets too that expect fs n might ur a deal. Can buy stuff on fs to grow your own. I buy in bulk on sale and freeze what won't eat right away.
squeakersmama
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:52 AM
I love Aldi! I've saved so much money there!

Quoting Liltdanh:

Apparently you need to get a clue! Feeding 5 people for 500 bucks a month is easy if you shp for stuff on sale like normal people do. Try Aldi too if you have it in your area. Also, if you can't feed your family for that much a month you need to cut back on the junk you are buying. There's apparently too much snacks or pre prepared convince stuff. I feed my family of four on less then 375 a month and we eat like kings. Yes, fresh produce can be expensive but also trying o get from farmers markets too that expect fs n might ur a deal. Can buy stuff on fs to grow your own. I buy in bulk on sale and freeze what won't eat right away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
qrex912
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Plan! Plan out a menu for each week, taking leftovers into account so NOTHING goes to waste. Meat Is expensive but if you have to have it, shop sales. Processed snacks and treats are not necessary. You can do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof4boyz1girl
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:07 AM

BUMP!

tennisgal
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:09 AM

That's plenty!

How much were you spending??

Cut back on dairy and meat (we spend a lot on dairy but that's an easy expense to cut). 

Menu plan and STICK WITH IT.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Our kids are 2, 4 and 5.

Quoting MIA0223:

That's plenty for a family of 5 IMO.
How old are the kids?
Lots of beans, less meat. Try to cut out all junk. All the little little "treats" add up fast.
Buy sale items and plan your meals around those for the week.
Coupon. A few cents saved here and there add up. You don't need to be an extreme couponer to save. Just look through the flyers in your mailbox and clip the things that you normally buy and try to match the coupon to a sale.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:30 AM

We were getting $700 a month.

Quoting tennisgal:

That's plenty!

Cut back on dairy and meat (we spend a lot on dairy but that's an easy expense to cut). 

tennisgal
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:31 AM

This is just for food, right?? 

That's MORE than enough.

Why don't you ask for meal ideas if you're stuck for those. 

Quoting Anonymous:

We were getting $700 a month.

Quoting tennisgal:

That's plenty!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN