Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm Scared For My Kid To Go To Kindergarten!!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM
  • 35 Replies

Seriously..Kindergarten seems a lot harder these days then it did when I was a kid!!

When I was a kid I did not have to know how to read when I passed Kindergarten. I remember learning in the 1st grade. (Hooked on phonics worked for me!! lol)

I remember I had to know my colors, had to know how to count to X amount, had to know my address, phone number, etc. And I had to know shapes, and what some things were, like pencils, balloons, etc.

My friend's son is in Kinder, and she showed me the list of the words he has to know how to write. Some of them were words I did not even learn till 2nd grade!! And he has to know how to WRITE them, and spell them, to pass.

He also had to know how to count to 100, and a bunch of other things I KNOW I did not know when I passed Kinder!!

I'm scared for when my son goes..it seems like stuff I did not learn till 2nd grade, they are making kids have to know just when they pass Kindergarten!!

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
singlemom1208
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
He's smarter than you think. He will be fine mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegansmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 9:54 AM

DD starts this year too.  Kids are sponges & pick up on things really quickly.  Maybe try working with him now so he has a head start?  It will be fine.  That being said, I took her first week of school off so I can sit home & cry all day while DD is gone!  :o(

caito
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I'm terrified for Joss to go to school. I can't imagine her sitting in a classroom with a bunch of other kids and actually paying attention. I'm scared I won't be good enough to help her learn the stuff she needs...you know they expect parents to help and stuff, and I've never been that good at helping her learn things through traditional means. We have workbooks and crafts but she learns better through play. I'm starting to panic since she needs to go to preschool next year and then will go to kinder in 2014 D:

mariesmama
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM

im scared for my daughter she starts preschool this fall shes speech delayed

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM

My son starts pre-k 4 this year and Im scared to death! Not of him being able to learn or socialize as I feel he is smart and funny but Im afraid he will be harmed in some weird way. 

ginnjuice

incognito116
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Start working with him now, it'll be fine. I taught K for awhile and you'd be amazed at the things they can do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StudentofLife
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:03 AM

It seems much harder for us as parents but they wouldn't expect the kids to be able to do something that they couldn't do. I am a little worried that with my lack of teaching skills and my eldest's lack of pre-k that we might be a bit farther behind the other kids. He knows the basics and then some but we're still working writing the words and haven't even touched the sight words yet.

LexRi0709
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:03 AM
He will do fine! Dd learned some sight words in pre-k and they are going to build on that. I make her go through her flashcards 5 at a time and write them down on her whiteboard. After 5, I have her read the words back to me. This is helping her with her words and her writing skills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:04 AM
My DD starts preschool this fall. I'm scared that she will act out and get in trouble a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfTheBest2
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM
It'll be okay!! My son just graduated kindergarten and is headed to first grade. He struggles with academics but still, he counts to 100, by 2s 5s and 10s. He reads. I was scared too because my son just wasn't interested in books and I don't have the patience to work numbers with him, but he surprised me and did really well :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)