Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think about hospitals no longer providing formula for newborns?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you think about hospitals no longer providing formula for newborns?

Options:

Good idea

Bad idea

I don't care

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 576

View Results

My mom works on the maternal newborn floor at a local hospital. She found out that her hospital, as well as many others in the area will be going as they call it "baby friendly". This means that when you deliver at the hospital, if you want to formula feed your baby you must either bring the formula yourself or you can get it from the hospital but they will charge you (it will be added to your bill and the insurance company will not pay for it). They feel this is a good way to promote breastfeeding. In addition, they will have twice the lactation consultants available, one of them will be there  24/7.

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
Ally_346_2010
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Same here. I'm in Canada & my hospital was very pro-breastfeeding. I never knew hospitals provided formula.

Quoting Josie_P:

When I had my dd, formula wasn't even offered. But I don't live in the US.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM
3 moms liked this
I think that if they do they are basicly forcing you to bf.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Does she work for the Cleveland Clinic? I will be delivering at one of their local hosoitals and think it's crap. I do intend to breastfeed or at least pump but the option should at least be there for Mom's who aren't.
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:29 PM
10 moms liked this
Hospitals are required to feed their patients nutritionally sound meals, newborns are patients. I EBF all my kids but find this insane. If I were a patient and was told "I" had to supply myself meals while I was in there, there would be hell to be had. Why are newborns any different?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cassie19831
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM

It bugs me. Some people can't. My heart meds made it so I couldn't so I brought my own but my son turned out to have to have soy formula. It would have sucked for y husband to have to go get some. I had been in labor 16 hours and had to have a c section. We were both exhausted and he would have been in no condition to drive. It doesnt cause people to formula feed but it helps those that can't.

JLS2388
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Quoting mrimom:

If they provide lactation consultants 24/7, I think it's a good idea.  I had my kids on a Friday.  The hospital only had a lactation consultant Mon-Thur 9-5.  I think if I would have had more lactation support, breast feeding would have worked out better for me.

See that is exactly the point. My mom is one of the few nurses on the floor who will help a nursing mom if she is having trouble and the lactation consultant isn't there. Most will just throw formula at the new mom because it takes less time then teaching breastfeeding. I am sorry for your experience though

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM

its just another way to push what some moms don't want onto other mons. if a woman wants to FF that is her right. lactation support is great for new breastfeeding moms but i think moms who want to FF should have the same respect and support.

i thought the formula from the hospital was charged anyway.

angevil53
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:31 PM
A lot if people don't know that. They are samples and weren't charged to my room. Thet also gave ds a bottle several times and i didn't know it. I was very sick after i had him and my milk took a week to come in.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I don't have an issue with. The free formula doesn't come from the hospital anyway, it comes from formula companies. 

I know they will always have some on hand for when moms request it. That's all that matters. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

You pay for everything in the hospital as it is.  Your meals aren't free.  The tp you use isn't free.  Everything gets charged to your bill.  TRUST me!  It's just hidden in the charges.  Did you really think they would feed ff babies for free all these years?  It's just that now, they have decided to make it a KNOWN charge.

JLS2388
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting gummibear08:

I think they are taking away a person's right to choose.  I nursed but I had one lactation consultant visit me during my stay that was horrible. She was only into forcing her opinions on me and not on how my experience was going or trying to be helpful.  

I don't see it as they are forcing anything, they are just not providing the formula (not for free anyway) you would be welcome to bring the formula from home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN