Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I get it transferred and move? * Custody?*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies

So I'm going to court with my ex, He has agreed to sole legal and physical custody for me, He wants visitation which we are still trying to decide. He has supervised visits every other Sunday from 1-3 in the afternoon. He showed for the first one 35 mins late, he brought his girlfriend and her kid for the second one, and the third left an hour early. We spoke and set a non court ordered visit for a Saturday in between and he never showed. he hadn't seen her in two years before I filed for sole custody  * just saying this so you have an idea of his track record* I have been offered a fantastic job near all my family, But its 1,000 miles away give or take* we started this whole custody mess so we could move and not worry about DDs dad coming back to bite us in the butt in the first place* problem is this is all dragging on and he is being so flaky. Is it possible to get the case transferred or petition to move before things are decided or any other suggestion?

ETA yes I have a lawyer yes i will ask him next time i see him but it wont be for several days, Hoping some one here has an idea or some in site 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Bump

GingerNeeSmith
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I would like to know how you go about getting guardianship/ custody transferred from one state to another.If anyone knows how.

good luck op & congrats on the job.

10yrsapart9505
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

you have every right to move for work and for family....UNLESS it is otherwise written in a court order.  Since you are going to court, you have to let the courts know X amount of time before you move (normally 30 days) and you have to give him the same warning.  Then, if he truly cares, he can take you to court to modify whatever visitation you have in place.  So you will have to come back to you current county for that court hearing.  Unless you can talk him into no visits, no support.   Then you'd be scott free!! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM

You have no idea how badly I want no visits no support. He never paid a dime any way lol. His mom won't let him because she still wants to see DD but refuses to talk to me because "im a huge bitch"  I've never been rude to her, She just didn't like that i told her she couldn't take DD some where once. Maturity at it's finest.

Quoting 10yrsapart9505:

you have every right to move for work and for family....UNLESS it is otherwise written in a court order.  Since you are going to court, you have to let the courts know X amount of time before you move (normally 30 days) and you have to give him the same warning.  Then, if he truly cares, he can take you to court to modify whatever visitation you have in place.  So you will have to come back to you current county for that court hearing.  Unless you can talk him into no visits, no support.   Then you'd be scott free!! 

Peytonsmom6308
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:18 PM

BUMP!

10yrsapart9505
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Fortunately for you his mothers opinion has nothing to do with anything that pertains to you or where you live or what happens with your daughter.  I would make sure the judge knows about his lack of visits - BY CHOICE, and request they grant your request to move and give exh minimal if any visitation.  Your atty may have something up his sleeve....send him an email and ask him what he thinks. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You have no idea how badly I want no visits no support. He never paid a dime any way lol. His mom won't let him because she still wants to see DD but refuses to talk to me because "im a huge bitch"  I've never been rude to her, She just didn't like that i told her she couldn't take DD some where once. Maturity at it's finest.

Quoting 10yrsapart9505:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:50 PM
True but she's using him as a puppet

Quoting 10yrsapart9505:

Fortunately for you his mothers opinion has nothing to do with anything that pertains to you or where you live or what happens with your daughter.  I would make sure the judge knows about his lack of visits - BY CHOICE, and request they grant your request to move and give exh minimal if any visitation.  Your atty may have something up his sleeve....send him an email and ask him what he thinks. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting 10yrsapart9505:

Mom2Addison12
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM

so get him on the phone?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 9, 2012 at 5:14 PM
I'm not sure what you mean?

Quoting Mom2Addison12:

so get him on the phone?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Moves out of state are typically allowed for things such as job transfers, especially if you have both physical AND legal custody.  You will have to go to court for something called Petition for Removal, and there will have to be some kind of visitation worked out...maybe you will have to come back for certain holidays and such.  Given his track record it shouldn't be a problem at all.  Also speak to your atty about vacating the child support order.  Also, I'm not just spouting info that I've learned pertaining to just my state; I've read many, many cases that have to do with other states as well.  Good luck :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured