Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Marrying in high school?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM
  • 81 Replies
What is your opinion? What would you think of someone that did? What would you say to your child if they wanted to or did without telling you?
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I got married in high school.  If my DD wanted to I would try and convince her to wait, just like my mom did.  I am still married to the same man and we are expecting our second baby in October.

anetrnlov
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't care what other people do but I would caution my child against it simply because the statistics on young marriages are bleak (at best). 

CjEmmemommy
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I got married in high school.  If my DD wanted to I would try and convince her to wait, just like my mom did.  I am still married to the same man and we are expecting our second baby in October.

I agree, how long have you been married?
KMadsen
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I got married in high school :)

AphrexiaX
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM
I would strongly argue against it. I got married at the beginning if my senior year. Worst mistake I ever made. We divorced just 6 years later. After I grew up some and he became abusive. The only good to come out of that marriage was my two older children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KarriePlus1
by Karen on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM
I know people who have gotten married in HS. Two of the couples divorced and the other couple I know are having their fifth 'oops' baby. I can't say I think much of their decisions. That said, my parents got married in high school. Despite all the complications, they love each other.
There are a lot of different scenarios, though, so I'm not sure how to answer that last question.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM
6 moms liked this

I think it's trashy. I met my DH in high school but we didn't rush into marriage. If you can't legally drink at your wedding, you're too young.

Robin_TripleA
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:18 PM
My friend got married in highschool because she got knocked up. They are still married and seem happy (6yrs later).

I didn't, and I wouldn't allow my DD too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd strongly discourage it, for there is no reason to marry in HS. If you are meant to be with the person you are dating, then you will BE. You don't need to marry in HS imo. 

all4Him999
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM
I would strongly discourage it...I hope they wait to find their life partners after college and closer to 30.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN