Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think my working is screwing me out of money. What do you think??

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM
  • 13 Replies

So to start off my husband was the home health aid for my three brothers for about 4 years, then me and him got into a big fight and we separated for a little, and I took over the job so I could support my kids. Well I started back in April 2012, and my husband filled for unemployment and got approved for it, even thought they fought it several times by saying they contacted him the same day with new clients and they didnt. But any way he won his appeal about two weeks ago, and a today my worked called me saying they have to cut me down from 80hrs to 40 cause they dont want to have to pay for over time, and they dont want to get in trouble for not paying me over time. So I will be loosing out on $1100 a month, which is the same amount my husband is getting in unemployment.I had no idea they had to pay me over time at all. So my question is can I sue them for not paying me overtime, and can my husband sue them too??? 

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baby-on-board
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Overtime is not require unless it is in a contract when you signed up for work. You cant sue based on what info you have given.

Eco_Momma
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM

IDK but here's a bump for you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Check your state laws. In CA if it is over 40 hours a week they legally have to pay overtime. Yes you can sue but you must have proof of every hour u worked!
hplesha
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM
In Michigan it's a law they pay you over time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baby-on-board
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I fill out time sheets and progress reports thats show the hrs i work, so that wont be a problem

Quoting Anonymous:

Check your state laws. In CA if it is over 40 hours a week they legally have to pay overtime. Yes you can sue but you must have proof of every hour u worked!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Unlikely.  

And no, they're not - they've reduced your hours so as to avoid paying you more -that's not screwing you out of anything. 

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Yep, this. Reducing your hours is not illegal

Quoting Anonymous:

Unlikely.  

And no, they're not - they've reduced your hours so as to avoid paying you more -that's not screwing you out of anything. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

there is a FEDERAL wage law, which states that in most cases, any hours worked over 40 in one work week must be paid overtime, at a rate of at least time and a half.

why do people spout off about shit they know nothing about?

Quoting Anonymous:

Overtime is not require unless it is in a contract when you signed up for work. You cant sue based on what info you have given.

baby-on-board
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Thats not what im saying I worked over 40hrs and they even said that they cut my hrs so they dont have to pay me OT cause they said its state law to pay over time for any thing you work over 40hrs and me and my husband were both workinf over 40, so I was wondering if I can go after them for the OT they owe me

Quoting Anonymous:

Unlikely.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)