Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband's family is stand offish with my son!

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:55 PM
  • 8 Replies

My husband and I have been together for five years, and married for four. We just had our first child together on June 5th this year and his mother, whom I do not get along with,  hasn't seen him. Not only has she not made an effort to come see her grandson, but she hasn't called to ask about him, or even send a text asking how he is or what he looks like. Am I supposed to take the initative and shove him in her face, or should I stick to myself? In reality, it's HER loss because my son is simply amazing and is showered with love by others. However, it just seems like his family isn't that crazy over my son as they are with my husband's first son with his ex gf. Maybe I'm being stupid, but there is definitely something off about it all... In my opinion.

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM

that would bother me too. Its definately her loss not your sons.

divamommao
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

You stick to yourself and tell her to F*** off if she can not call , text write, what have you to see her  or hear about her grandson. Its her lost.

EAzizM
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Don't sweat it. Like you said, it is their loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tth328
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Just let it be. You shouldn't have to put in all the effort to have family wanna see your son. It's their loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrookieCookie1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM

ANy friend I've had that already had kids always waited for me to make the first move and give an invite. Give her the benefit of the doubt, for everybody's relationship'ssake and ask her over to see her grandson. ANd say it just like that- 'your grandson'. Then, see how that goes

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Have you considered maybe she hasn't contacted you because she thinks you hate and might reject her? Sometimes it's simple. I had a similar situation and turned out neither of us had anything against each other..it was a misunderstanding that went on until it was a huge deal over something small. Does your DH want his mother in your lives? If so, why not be the bigger person and try to have some sort of relationship with her?
gem_mommie
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
You're right, it is totally her loss. Congrats on your first child; that is SO special. Focus on your child and everything you're about to experience, and leave her and her obvious negativity where they lie. I'd let her be; sounds like you're all better off without her. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OwieC
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Have you considered maybe she hasn't contacted you because she thinks you hate and might reject her? Sometimes it's simple. I had a similar situation and turned out neither of us had anything against each other..it was a misunderstanding that went on until it was a huge deal over something small. Does your DH want his mother in your lives? If so, why not be the bigger person and try to have some sort of relationship with her?

Not to sound like a toddler, but she's the one that is rejecting me, or has rejected me. I've tried so hard on many occasions to be there for her and get to know her, but I just get criticized and hurt in the process. One minute we'll be okay and then I find out she's talking nastily about me. She thinks I'm a homewrecker because the time my husband and I started dating, he had just broken up with the mother of his first kid. So with me stepping in when I did, I became the homewrecker. :/ The relationship with my DH and his mom isn't too good either. She dropped him off when he was 6 weeks old and never played a huge role in his life, unless he does something she doesn't like. I think deep down, he seeks her approval, but he doesn't express it to me. Like he doesn't come out and say...I wish she would be more active in me and my kids' life. A part of me wants my son to have her in his life, just because I don't want him to grow up and think I kept them apart. However, I don't feel like I should throw him in her face and beg for attention...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)