Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Nails are falling off. Wtf is this!?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My 4 yr old's fingernails are peeling off from the cuticle. Except for that, his nails look normal...color & thickness. He showed me today, his thumb and ring finger are affected. His thumb is already.peeled and and is ring finger's is bumpy...like when you have acrylic nails & need a fill in. He says they don't hurt.

I remember back when he was about 2 months old his toenails looked cracked and uneven. My sister watched him overnight so I just thought she tried cutting his nails and left it that. Ever since, his toe nails have been.kind of...ugly. Again, the color is normal but tgey grow very uneven and downwards.

Anyone know what this could be?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:18 AM
Replies (11-18):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:04 PM
Bump
nellierice
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM

He could have a fungus...my son's toenails kept falling off, so nasty. He said it didn't hurt and a nice clean one was always underneath. Doc said fungus, gave him something, and voila, fixed so far!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Were his nails normal in color?
That's what's throwing me off.

Quoting nellierice:

He could have a fungus...my son's toenails kept falling off, so nasty. He said it didn't hurt and a nice clean one was always underneath. Doc said fungus, gave him something, and voila, fixed so far!

nellierice
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Yea, the ones falling off were normal, and the nice fresh one underneath were normal. Just looking at them it didn't look like anything was wrong, except they were falling off!

Quoting Anonymous:

Were his nails normal in color?
That's what's throwing me off.

Quoting nellierice:

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM

sounds like beau nails.. I would take him in for a check up.. it COULD have been caused due to an injury or short term illness, or could be a sign of something more serious..

nails are a good indicators of our overall health.. and really, unless there was a short term illness (that you were aware of) or injury to those fingers.. I'd be concerned of a more problematic illness/deficiency/etc.

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Quoting nellierice:

yes could also be nail fungus.. fungus is something you catch, not something that grows on it's own from dirty nails or anything..

Allebas
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:22 PM

It sounds like nail fungus or something deficient in his diet. I'm sure the Dr. will be able to get it figured out and he will be fine. Please update us with what the Dr. tells you!  :  ) Thanks!!

NiceMom06
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM
I agree

Quoting Allebas:

It sounds like nail fungus or something deficient in his diet. I'm sure the Dr. will be able to get it figured out and he will be fine. Please update us with what the Dr. tells you!  :  ) Thanks!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)