Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

to move or not to move

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM
  • 4 Replies

my mom and her long time boyfriend just bought a home in Florida right on the gulf coast. she has been saying we should move down there and until now i have not wanted to. we live in new york and have two kids. money is always tight. dh's job sucks. when my mom moves down there full time in 3 years i will have no reason to stay here. anyone know what its like in Florida? how hard is it to get a job? we would have a great place to stay until we get on our feet.

how much cash would you want to have on hand for a big move like this?

dh'd only reservation in moving is leaving his parents because they would have no one in ny.

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mommytotwonow
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:37 AM

bump

RhondaVeggie
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Florida has some really sucky school systems so unless you plan to home school you'd need to be careful where you lived.

I'm not really sure how much it would cost. I have done a big move, transatlantic, but my husbands company paid relocation expenses so I didn't see any invoices. Obviously it would vary a great deal depending on how much you're shipping and whether you plan to use professional movers, a service like PODS, or pack and drive your own u-haul.
mommytotwonow
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM

good to know about the schools. ill have to do some research and have my mom check out the schools near the new house.

i think we would take a uhaul and a pod we will have to store most of our stuff for awhile.

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

Florida has some really sucky school systems so unless you plan to home school you'd need to be careful where you lived.

I'm not really sure how much it would cost. I have done a big move, transatlantic, but my husbands company paid relocation expenses so I didn't see any invoices. Obviously it would vary a great deal depending on how much you're shipping and whether you plan to use professional movers, a service like PODS, or pack and drive your own u-haul.

I'm a nursing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, baby wearing mommy of two beautiful boys!

mommytotwonow
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)