Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question about carseats and accidents.

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM
  • 10 Replies

DF was in an accident this morning on his way to work (he rear-ended somebody). DS was not in the car, but his carseat was strapped into the back. I know that carseats usually have to be replaced when they have been in a wreck, but does that apply if there was no child in the seat when the accident happened?

Any answers would be appreciated. Thank you.

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Yes. Always.
Kylie819
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM
What brand of car seat is it? Was there any damage to the car? Is your husband injured at all?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM

It is an Evenflo Tribute convertible seat. There was a decent amount of front end damage, and DF got pretty badly hurt (he was an idiot and wasn't wearing a seatbelt, so he smashed his head on the dashboard and hurt his neck pretty badly).

Quoting Kylie819:

What brand of car seat is it? Was there any damage to the car? Is your husband injured at all?

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Yes, it still needs to be replaced.

What kind of car seat? There are a couple of manufacturers that have different guidelines (such as no airbags deploying etc.) for replacing the seat, but it's a good idea to do it anyway. Insurance should reimburse you.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/387292_2884772599754_1273299282_33296172_1842233479_n.jpg

ktwister
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Yes it should be replaced.  Insurance will cover the cost.

Starburst72
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM

i would get a new carseat. one that has even been in a low impact accident can have hairline cracks that could cause a tragic failure later. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Yes, it has to be replaced if there was any damage to the car. I'm pretty sure anyways. You can file an insurance claim to have it replaced. Was it your DH's fault or the other drivers? I'd call the manufacturer. Even if you can't see a fracture in the seat there might be one that would crack under the slightest pressure if your child was in it and you got in another accident. :/ 

AdellesMom
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:18 PM
I'm not sure. I'd get a new one just in case. I hope your DF is okay!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Probably not actually. We only have liability coverage, so if the accident is deemed his fault (which it will be) they won't cover any of our costs.

Quoting ktwister:

Yes it should be replaced.  Insurance will cover the cost.

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I pretty much figured it had to be replaced, but I wanted to make sure. I'll probably just get a new one. The one I have was very inexpensive in the first place. We won't be driving for a while anyways, as it was our only vehicle. Looks like it's back to the bus for us :( lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)