Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bus Driver Tapes Special Needs Child's Mouth Shut & Isn't Even Embarrassed?!

Cafe Steph
Come join the fun NOW!
Yesterday at 9:00 PM
Truebies! Come Watch & Discuss Episode 4 TONIGHT at 9pm ET! - CafeMom

Episode 4 of the final season of "True Blood" airs this Sunday at 9pm ET on HBO.Meet us here to watch the show and

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM
  • 44 Replies

Bus Driver Tapes Special Needs Child's Mouth Shut & Isn't Even Embarrassed

Posted by Jeanne Sager on July 10, 2012 

school busFormer bus driver Marjorie Jones got lucky. She won't be going to jail for duct-taping the mouth of a 7-year-old girl with special needs. But even losing her job and facing community service and probation doesn't seem to have convinced the 63-year-old that she did something wrong.

Jones was convicted of child endangerment for her mistreatment of little Angelina Kio, a girl who can't speak and whose cognitive abilities are equal to that of a toddler. But when she stood in front of a judge facing a possible year in jail for the act, the woman who used to drive a bus full of children was still claiming it was all in good fun.

Her exact word? "Playful." Jones thought putting duct tape on the mouth of a child with special needs was "playful." Anyone else wonder if Jones would be thinking it was "playful" if the judge had chosen duct-taping her mouth as part of the sentence? It kind of makes her "I am sorry for what I did" sound like a non-apology, doesn't it?

Sadly, I came at this sordid story looking for an out for this woman. I didn't want to believe that someone would actually do something so cruel to another person, much less to a child with special needs. 

I know it can't be easy driving a school bus, what with all those kids screaming in the background and a bunch of idiot drivers out there on the road. And Jones works for the Corinth Central School District in upstate New York, where wintertime driving can be especially frustrating. As a parent who happens to live in upstate New York, I know a good bus driver is worth as much as a good babysitter -- they're like gold.

But Jones' lack of remorse is appalling -- almost as appalling as the act that landed her in court to begin with. This wasn't a horrible mistake made in the heat of the moment by a frazzled bus driver. Her inability to use nearly two years of time to think it through, to take the criticisms to heart, proves that.

So I'm going to say it again. Marjorie Jones to lucky. She's got three years of probation and 100 hours of community service ahead of her. But with her refusal to admit duct taping a defenseless person's (honestly, Angelina could have been 27 or 47 and it still would have been wrong) mouth shut isn't PLAYFUL should have gotten her a lot more.

What kind of punishment do you think would be more appropriate here?

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Starburst72
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM
5 moms liked this

there is a special circle of hell waiting this bitch when she dies.... indeed

Aislin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM
3 moms liked this

I would have been the one in jail if she had dared to duct tape my child's mouth shut. I can't believe she got off so lightly

Starburst72
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM

BUMP!

Cymbeline
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

As the mother of a non verbal, completely helpless, little girl, I am quite disgusted.

I could playfully cover her face in duct tape.

cjs702006
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:18 PM
2 moms liked this

IMO she should have been thrown in jail. If I did something like that to my son, it would be considered child abuse and I would go to jail for it.

SMDH

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:19 PM
3 moms liked this
She should go sit with Sandusky
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Cover hear mouth with the duct tape and make sure it reaches her nostrils too.  Everytime there's something in the news about abuse like this happening and it's disgusting and it's no wonder parents are opting out of the public school.  Who would want their kids subject to these disgusting filthbags.

Palindromeda
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:05 PM

As a parent, an aunt to a child with special needs and as a special needs school bus driver I find this downright appalling. Usu. every year in recertification we're shown a video about some dipshit mistreating a child on a bus. Drivers are TRAINED not to act like this... there is no excuse.

nverheyn2011
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM

yes. let's all duct tape special needs kids' mouths shut.

Seriously? People get in trouble for putting a hand over a kid's mouth, but DUCT TAPE is perfectly fine.

this world is F****D UP

laydmartin29
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I would so be PLAYFULLY beating the bajesus outta this POS if she did this to any of my children....wtf is wrong with her? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)