Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

((Cat Question)).... For all you cat lovers i need answers!!!

Okay.... Sooooo DH an i got DD a cat about 3 or 4 months ago. Of course we brought it in the house an got all kinds of spray shampoos, flea collars an what not. Well, the damn cat has fleas so bad i had to kick the cat out! He's a great outside cat but its so stinkin hot that i felt really bad for him. So i bought more flea sprays an even made DH give the cat a bath in flea shampoo! The cat stayed in the house 2 days an the house is crawlin with fleas again! I have no idea HOW to get rid of these fleas so this cat can be inside! My question is how do yall get yalls cats clean? And how do yall get them to stay clean? Does petco or a pet store get rid of fleas on animals, like would they keep him till he is rid of fleas? I just wana help this cat out plus kinda spoil him an make him a house cat cause hes way too pretty to be outside all the time plus hes just a sweetheart! Please give me some answers!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
dmw23
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Get medicine from the vet for the fleas esp if the cat will be staying outside in the future for ever a few days. Also you need to treat your house for fleas or none of the flea treatment you are using will work and you and your family will continue to live in a flea infested house. I have used the flea bombs in the past and they worked well. You need to get everyone and any animals out and let the bomb off. Stay out for like 4 hours, come back, open the windows and air out the house and wash everything. It is a lot of workm can be a fire hazard, can be dangerous so you have to really research and look into it if you go the flea bomb route. You can also get diatomaceous earth, which home improvement stores usually sell w/ fertilizer and bug sprays, and you can sprinkle it throughout your carpets, leave for awhile and them vaccuum up and it should help. Also wash all fabrics, upholstered things etc.  If you do the diatomaceous earth you need to get the food grade kind because it is safe for use around people and animals but will kill fleas.

itsmesteph11
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM

First, the cat got fleas because there are animals near your home that have them. They come into your yard and you bring them inside. If the cat was an inside only cat that is the ONLY way you got fleas in the house. If your cat was an inside /outside cat that is how he got fleas.  First you HAVE to get the fleas out of your yard.  Get some Lindane or malthion and the pymitherine(sp) to kill adult fleas and the eggs. If you don't get the eggs they will hatch and the cycle begins again. You need to bomb the house and you might have to do it twice.  Bathe the cat with flea shampoo and use the drops you can get from the vet (expensive) or petsmart (not quite as expensive). Keep the cat INSIDE or you will get fleas again because the cat will pick them up easily outside if your neighbors are not getting rid of theirs.   It's not your cats fault he got fleas it just happens when some people don't get rid of their own fleas. They travel on people and animals and can come from anywhere.  It take a bit of time and money but it has to be done to end the cycle.   Good Luck!

Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Advantage or Frontline works really well. You have to alternate them every now and then to make sure it keeps killing the fleas. It would also be helpful if you didn't let the cat be indoor/outdoor and just kept it inside.

KittenKrump
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I feed my cat a tablespoon of garlic mixed with tuna once a day. She's an outside cat and fleas are awful here. I can't bring her inside, even though I desperately want to, because my MIL is severely allergic.

When the heart of a thousand stopped,
Who was there,
Keeping time?

aimhawk
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Go to your vet. We use Certifect on our dog and I think they make it for cats as well. It works wonders on ticks and fleas. You will have to treat yours carpets the same day every week for 4 weeks to make sure you kill all the fleas and eggs.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:29 PM

IDK my cats are indoor outdoor and never get fleas since i changed their food. The dog doesn't even get them anymore. I give them simply nourish and since that no more fleas.

fairyjester
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:29 PM

the fleas are in your house,   you need to use advantage on the cat, then do some enviromental flea control.

do you have carpets or floors?

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Peppermint Dr. Bronners soap...the oil kills fleas, and you can shampoo your carpet and clean your floors with it! It won't harm anything and works amazing! Bath kitty and clean the house...once you have treated, don't let the cat outside...

lovelife350
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:31 PM

you have to treat your house for the fleas too. after you bomb your house you need to vacuum a couple times a day ( all the couches everything)  for a few weeks because flea lay eggs. 

melissam21
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:32 PM
You need to go to the vet or a pet store and get a good flea control. Advantage, frontline something like that. Flea collars dont work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN