Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I know this is confessions but I need some advice and this is my most active group!!!

Tell me about where you live!!!!

My husband graduates at the end of August with his liscense to be a police officer and we are trying to decide where to go.

We currently live in Lubbock and were thinking about trying to keep it within 500 miles but I wanna know about the whole state lol. He said it was my choice as long as it was in Texas :)

Any advice would be helpful!!! Thanks in advance!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Replies (41-50):
sucker4myloves
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Bastrop is a smaller town about an hour and a half or something like that away from SA, it's safe, not a whole lot of action going on. It's about forty min away from Austin, so you can travel to the big cities if you want some adult fun, but keep your hubby safer at the same time. It's not a hoppin' town though lol. And FYI, if you do choose SA, make sure your hubs doesn't work on the south west side and it'll be better ;)

Quoting lanismommy2010:

See we and highly considering San Antonio that is like one of our top choices but I am worried about that stuff I told him I would rather him like be a bicycle cop downtown or work the river lol.

Quoting sucker4myloves:

I personally love San Antonio but if you wanna keep him in a safer area go to a small town like corsicana or something. I also enjoy Bastrop. Don't move to a college town like San Marcos, too costly to live. And don't move to Houston, Ft.Worth, or Austin, unless you like big cities with alot of dirtiness. Although Austin does have a lot of fun stuff, I don't like it. I really like San Antonio because it has a lot of fun things, for adults and kids, fiesta, first friday, good and bad areas, lots of diversity, etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM

we are in San Antonio. we don't know too much about the area or Texas as a whole as we just moved here from out of state last summer. but we been here almost a whole year now and we absolutely love it. cost of living is really low here. we rent a 2 bdrm 2 bath apt for $669 month. San Antonio is really 1 of those areas where its cheaper to buy a house then to rent tho. you can get a decent house for about $100k. you can find some cheaper and more expensive homes. but it really depends on the location and condition of house and how old or new it is. San Antonio is really big. there are so many different areas. so it really depends. but there are lots of jobs here. its really impossible to be jobless here for long. there are tons of places always hiring. the schools here are really nice. we are in the NEISD. my son is going into the 3rd grade. but I love his elementary school. the teachers and staff are amazing there and are really nice and friendly and have helped my son a lot. there are tons of stuff to do here as well. its a very family friendly area. there is always something going on. we are never bored here. and since we are still new here, we still spend our time just driving around exploring the area. people here are very nice and friendly. its just a nice area. and we really love it here. and we regret not moving here sooner. the only bad I can say about the area, well can be said about the whole state as well. and thats the weather. its always hot and humid here. its only cold about 3 months out of the year here. summer is like 9 months here. but I suppose that is all of texas as well. that my only problem with the area. I am not a hot weather person. I absolutely hate the heat. but......its tolerable I guess. and you kind of get use to it after awhile. its the only bad thing I can say about the area, so I just deal with it.

MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I used to live in West Plano, a Dallas suburb. Beautiful, safe area with great schools and still very close to the city. I miss Texas so much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gcstar42
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Lol I can't think of any park with a mermaid. Its just like a statue or what? Do you remember about where it is located? Lol there are a ton of parks here though.

Quoting Ctink8189:

Quoting gcstar42:

lol yup that is Houston for ya! DH's mom is from
Grape Creek. I cannot remember the name of the little park in San Angelo, the one with the mermaid sticking out?? That is where DH proposed to me :) good times.

lanismommy2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Thank you for your insight. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

we are in San Antonio. we don't know too much about the area or Texas as a whole as we just moved here from out of state last summer. but we been here almost a whole year now and we absolutely love it. cost of living is really low here. we rent a 2 bdrm 2 bath apt for $669 month. San Antonio is really 1 of those areas where its cheaper to buy a house then to rent tho. you can get a decent house for about $100k. you can find some cheaper and more expensive homes. but it really depends on the location and condition of house and how old or new it is. San Antonio is really big. there are so many different areas. so it really depends. but there are lots of jobs here. its really impossible to be jobless here for long. there are tons of places always hiring. the schools here are really nice. we are in the NEISD. my son is going into the 3rd grade. but I love his elementary school. the teachers and staff are amazing there and are really nice and friendly and have helped my son a lot. there are tons of stuff to do here as well. its a very family friendly area. there is always something going on. we are never bored here. and since we are still new here, we still spend our time just driving around exploring the area. people here are very nice and friendly. its just a nice area. and we really love it here. and we regret not moving here sooner. the only bad I can say about the area, well can be said about the whole state as well. and thats the weather. its always hot and humid here. its only cold about 3 months out of the year here. summer is like 9 months here. but I suppose that is all of texas as well. that my only problem with the area. I am not a hot weather person. I absolutely hate the heat. but......its tolerable I guess. and you kind of get use to it after awhile. its the only bad thing I can say about the area, so I just deal with it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lanismommy2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Thank you!! He unfortunately is the one set on being a big city cop lol. I would be fine with one of the smaller suburbs but not him lol.

Quoting sucker4myloves:

Bastrop is a smaller town about an hour and a half or something like that away from SA, it's safe, not a whole lot of action going on. It's about forty min away from Austin, so you can travel to the big cities if you want some adult fun, but keep your hubby safer at the same time. It's not a hoppin' town though lol. And FYI, if you do choose SA, make sure your hubs doesn't work on the south west side and it'll be better ;)

Quoting lanismommy2010:

See we and highly considering San Antonio that is like one of our top choices but I am worried about that stuff I told him I would rather him like be a bicycle cop downtown or work the river lol.

Quoting sucker4myloves:

I personally love San Antonio but if you wanna keep him in a safer area go to a small town like corsicana or something. I also enjoy Bastrop. Don't move to a college town like San Marcos, too costly to live. And don't move to Houston, Ft.Worth, or Austin, unless you like big cities with alot of dirtiness. Although Austin does have a lot of fun stuff, I don't like it. I really like San Antonio because it has a lot of fun things, for adults and kids, fiesta, first friday, good and bad areas, lots of diversity, etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lanismommy2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Thank you :)

Quoting alwayskk:

I'm in Houston. I like my town and I'm happy here but when people ask me, I recommend the Austin/San Marcos/San Antonio area. It's like Houston only better. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrS.ACosTa190
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

lubbock is the most awful place in tx!!!! come towards dallas its the bomb!

SharonHernandez
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in Abilene,  but there is nothing to great over here.

Mommy2Jolee
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM
I work for a PD in north Texas. If you are looking for the better paying cities, I would suggest checking into Plano PD. There are plenty of nice smaller towns around Plano, but Plano PD starts out pretty good. I wouldn't suggest Dallas or Ft Worth PD right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)