Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

im breaking my lease i need some help writing a 30 day notice

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
We have been here a total of 2 and a half months and we hate it! We have an infestation of roaches and the management isn't taking care of it. Every time we call the manager we always get a message. Ans every time we get to talk to her she acts like we are annoying her its really rude. Every thing she has said she would fix/ replace hasn't been done. She hasn't provided us with a copy of our lease no matter the multiple times we have asked for it. And my car has been broke into twice and my husbands work truck has been messed with. So we want out and now but we would be breaking our 1 year lease. What do we say to get out of the lease?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Bump
PinkWink
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM
2 moms liked this
I would first send them a certified letter detailing the issues with car safety and roaches. This way you have solid proof you have notified them and they didn't resolve it. Bc you're still financially responsible for the lease. But if you can prove unsanitary living conditions, a judge may side with you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Just say "effective as of August 1, 2012 we (insert names) request to terminate our lease"
You don't have to give a reason but most people only take 30 day notices effective on the first. Call your local housing authority on your states regulations for landlords give copies of leases. Depending on your state regs you may be able to terminate without monitory penalties.
sarahsmommy508
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM
I'm pretty sure you still have to pay the rent for the test of your lease or they can sue you....but with no copy of the lease that sounds suspicious... sorry I'm not Mich help I would for sure move to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Unless the landlord broke in the car themselves, it's not their fault. And have nothing to "fix" in regards to car safety.
The roaches and household repairs do need to be sent in a certified letter

Quoting PinkWink:

I would first send them a certified letter detailing the issues with car safety and roaches. This way you have solid proof you have notified them and they didn't resolve it. Bc you're still financially responsible for the lease. But if you can prove unsanitary living conditions, a judge may side with you.
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:34 PM

first off call your towns board of health , tell them whats going on. Ask them if this is worthy of breaking the lease ?Also check with your local courthouse ours has times when you can get FREE legal counsel. They should be able to tell you how to break the lease without getting tuck paying for the next 9.5 months.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Each state has a max on the termination fees. Some states can charge you one months rent, two months or three. I've never seen a state that has a remainder of the lease fee.
Op get a recipt in writing for your 30 day notice request

Quoting sarahsmommy508:

I'm pretty sure you still have to pay the rent for the test of your lease or they can sue you....but with no copy of the lease that sounds suspicious... sorry I'm not Mich help I would for sure move to
sarahsmommy508
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Yeah I suppose i just assumed I guess...but that's good to know..I have never broken a lease so not to sure I guess

Quoting Anonymous:

Each state has a max on the termination fees. Some states can charge you one months rent, two months or three. I've never seen a state that has a remainder of the lease fee.

Quoting sarahsmommy508:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM
It's a good thing to know! So many people get ripped off by not knowing their state regulations. I was an apt manager and you wouldn't believe what people just accepted in terms of paying or damages and such.

Quoting sarahsmommy508:

Yeah I suppose i just assumed I guess...but that's good to know..I have never broken a lease so not to sure I guess

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sarahsmommy508:

wittyscreenname
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I just broke my lease to get out of where I was living because they wouldn't fix the A/C, wouldn't let us have a window unit and wouldn't fix the windows so we could open them. My air didn't work right and ran all day long. As a result, we had an extremely high electric bill. We talked to them and told them we couldn't afford the rent AND our electric bill (which was higher than my rent). They agreed to let us our of our lease if you let them keep our deposit (kind of like an early termination fee). We agreed.

We just moved into a new place, same amount of rent, but SOOO much bigger. And it stays a cool 72 degrees in here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN