Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

POST-MORTEM PHOTOGRAPHY!! Very heavy pics!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies
1 mom liked this

POST-MORTEM PHOTOGRAPHY

Post-mortem photographs served less as a reminder of mortality than as a keepsake to remember the deceased. This was especially common with infants and young children; Victorian era childhood mortality rates were extremely high, and a post-mortem photograph might be the only image of the child the family ever had.

The earliest post-mortem photographs are usually close-ups of the face or shots of the full body and rarely include the coffin. The subject is usually depicted so as to seem in a deep sleep, or else arranged to appear more lifelike. Children were often shown in repose on a couch or in a crib, sometimes posed with a favorite toy or other plaything. It was not uncommon to photograph very young children with a family member, most frequently the mother. Adults were more commonly posed in chairs or even braced on specially-designed frames. Flowers were also a common prop in post-mortem photography of all types.

The effect of life was sometimes enhanced by either propping the subject’s eyes open or painting pupils onto the photographic print, and many early images have a rosy tint added to the cheeks of the corpse.

This is a photograph of Carrie L. Parsons, wife and three children murdered by Joseph Hamilton about two miles east of Success, MO on Friday October the 12, 1906. Parsons had sold his crop to young Hamilton. On the day of the murder Parsons loaded his family in his wagon and started for Miller Co, MO when about two miles east of Success at what is known as the old Vance Place, he was murdered. The wagon was then driven into thicket of brush and left until about midnight that night when young Hamilton returned and drove to Piney River. There he threw all the bodies into the water , and two of the children were found by a fishing party within one hour after they were thrown in. Hamilton was arrested two days later trying to make his escape. He made a full confession of his crime and was hanged.

This poor child looks like she had been ill for a long time before her demise.

the sister on the left is dead. you can she is propped up with a book.

This child had to be photographed from the outside because he had a disease and the house was quarantined.

http://morningpassages.com/2010/04/post-mortem-photography/

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lala06
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM
Well that's uumm different O_o
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mz_orange
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:29 AM
2 moms liked this
That is just too depressing. Everytime I see this kind of stuff, my stomach starts hurting.
Very creepy. I'd never have it done with myself or loved ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:29 AM
Wtf?
HezekiahsMom07
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:30 AM
Wtf ummmm no!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TurtleSquish
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:31 AM
2 moms liked this

they're creepy only because it's not really normal to do that anymore. but i think it's great the families had keepsakes.

luvmymonkeys27
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Given the time, it's a safe assumption to make that these people didn't have any pictures at all of their children. So while this is undoubtedly depressing, it's possible that if these parents didn't take the pictures after their children had died, they wouldn't have any at all. 

wonderouslife84
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM

wow that makes me sad, i touched my grandmother 3 hours after she had died.. that was all i needed no pics of her dead for me thanks but i find the old pics to be very interesting

Mychele
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Cool. Something different. People will think you are crazy today to take pictures of deceased loved ones and more so if you added a living relative to the picture.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms.sophsmom
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:35 AM
Ugh those creep me out.. but I will say that I was freaked out when I saw people taking photos at a funeral.. I flipped the hell out when the guys sister sent me a surprise photo of him laid to rest :((
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine2plus2
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Interesting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN