Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Edit*Do you think you can be both SAHM and

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
a working mom? I'm not talking about those that work from home nor am I saying SAHM don't do anything. SAHM work hard. It bugs me when someone says they are a part time____ and a SAHM. No you are a mom who works part time. You may have fabulous hours, but if you work outside the home, you are NOT a SAHM.

Edit:
My reason for asking: I was curious of your thoughts. I have a cousin who works 20 hours a week at a vet(late evenings). She claims to be a SAHM. She criticizes me for working outside the home. I teach. I told her she wasn't a SAHM. she said I'm the only one who thinks that. I just wanted others opinions to see if I really was the only one who felt that way.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aislinn
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Well, I work about 15-20 hours a month, if.... That makes me a working mom? lol

mommasbabies77
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Is this a s/o? Ridiculous argument
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
casah4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I think a SAHM doesn't have a job.  I do think someone could do something like sell on etsy and still be considered a SAHM. A working mom has a job, whether it's part-time, full-time, or work at home. Not that I really care what people call themselves.  That's just my take on it.  lol

Schleetle
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM
I don't know... Really why analyze the label so much? I guess people should call themselves whatever they feel like they are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemom1208
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM
I completely agree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma3830
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:48 PM
I think it's a mom who's unemployed & has children to care for at home.

Because even if you only work a few hours a week. When asked what do you do?.... You still have an employment that you can answer to.
A SAHM does not. She explicitly STAYS home..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2annaliese
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:48 PM
NO SAHM is a full-time job. You are not a SAHM if you work outside of home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Imo a sahm doesn't work outside of the home at all. But I don't think my opinion matters all that much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RhondaVeggie
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM
One of my friends works nights as an ICU nurse. She leaves just after dinner and gets home shortly after her kid wakes up. I think she counts as a mom because she's home all day. Also she has to work because her husband is disabled so she isn't just doing it for fun money or for time away from her kids like most mothers who work very few hours a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM
I was curious of your thoughts. I have a cousin who works 20 hours a week at a vet(late evenings). She claims to be a SAHM. She criticizes me for working outside the home. I teach. I told her she wasn't a SAHM. she said I'm the only one who thinks that. I just wanted others opinions to see if I really was the only one who felt that way.

Quoting mommasbabies77:

Is this a s/o? Ridiculous argument

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN