Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Edit*Do you think you can be both SAHM and

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
a working mom? I'm not talking about those that work from home nor am I saying SAHM don't do anything. SAHM work hard. It bugs me when someone says they are a part time____ and a SAHM. No you are a mom who works part time. You may have fabulous hours, but if you work outside the home, you are NOT a SAHM.

Edit:
My reason for asking: I was curious of your thoughts. I have a cousin who works 20 hours a week at a vet(late evenings). She claims to be a SAHM. She criticizes me for working outside the home. I teach. I told her she wasn't a SAHM. she said I'm the only one who thinks that. I just wanted others opinions to see if I really was the only one who felt that way.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Replies (21-26):
smalltownmom03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Quoting Alliemad_3:

I'm a photographer. I work on clients when I feel like it and only on weekends. I do my processing after the kids are in bed. I have no set hours...I am with my kids from the moment they wake up until the moment they go to bed, save for 2 hours on the Saturdays or Sundays I shoot. I make all meals. I drop off and pick up kids from school. I do all doctors appointments, school volunteering, shopping,etc.

I am a SAHM...who does photography.

I consider that a hobby that happens to bring in a little extra cash. 

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Quoting casah4:

I think a SAHM doesn't have a job.  I do think someone could do something like sell on etsy and still be considered a SAHM. A working mom has a job, whether it's part-time, full-time, or work at home. Not that I really care what people call themselves.  That's just my take on it.  lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:43 AM

If one works outside the home even part time, then they are not  SAHM.  You can tell your cousin that you are not the only one who thinks that way.

hollydaze1974
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:55 AM
no they don't! They are not in a prison usually. STAY AT home does not mean "imprisoned" You have grocery shopping to do, parks to go to, dry cleaning to pick up, buying the kids clothes. I'm sorry, but that's what I hate about labels. my tiny tyrant must must must be taken SOMEWHERE every day....doesn't matter where, but about ten every morning he starts banging on the door saying 'go! go! go!' Rite Aid sees alot of us, so does the Kroger and Publix. I may not buy anything, but we must "go" or he will sit in his crib at naptime crying "gooo!"
me actually leaving the house is in my job descript of a SAHM.

Quoting Momma3830:

I think it's a mom who's unemployed & has children to care for at home.

Because even if you only work a few hours a week. When asked what do you do?.... You still have an employment that you can answer to.

A SAHM does not. She explicitly STAYS home..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma3830
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 4:25 PM
Ummm... I'm not saying you can't go to the store or run errands!?!?? LMFAO!

I meant you stay home.., as in... You have no JOB. like EMPLOYMENT! the kind that gives you a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly check. That you have to clock in & out for or be there at a certain time to a certain time.

It's kinda sad that I had to explain that. 0_o.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

no they don't! They are not in a prison usually. STAY AT home does not mean "imprisoned" You have grocery shopping to do, parks to go to, dry cleaning to pick up, buying the kids clothes. I'm sorry, but that's what I hate about labels. my tiny tyrant must must must be taken SOMEWHERE every day....doesn't matter where, but about ten every morning he starts banging on the door saying 'go! go! go!' Rite Aid sees alot of us, so does the Kroger and Publix. I may not buy anything, but we must "go" or he will sit in his crib at naptime crying "gooo!"

me actually leaving the house is in my job descript of a SAHM.

Quoting Momma3830:

I think it's a mom who's unemployed & has children to care for at home.

Because even if you only work a few hours a week. When asked what do you do?.... You still have an employment that you can answer to.

A SAHM does not. She explicitly STAYS home..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Quoting casah4:

I think a SAHM doesn't have a job.  I do think someone could do something like sell on etsy and still be considered a SAHM. A working mom has a job, whether it's part-time, full-time, or work at home. Not that I really care what people call themselves.  That's just my take on it.  lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)