Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do I have to tip?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 808 Replies
7 moms liked this

What does the amount of my bill have to do with the service you receive? Where did they get the %15 tip thing from? I was just thinking about this at dinner. Shouldn't you just tip on how your service was instead of a certain % of the bill?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:01 PM
29 moms liked this

generally speaking, a higher bill means more dishes, more back-and-forth, more service required for your table.

and you don't have to tip.  but TIPS means "to insure proper service".  as a former service industry worker, we do appreciate it when you show your thanks for a job well done.

Alliemad_3
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:01 PM
111 moms liked this
We have a friend who lays out the tip on the table at the beginning of the meal. He tells his server what it is, and that it's up to him/her how much is left when they leave.

He's a ballsy old man...lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emandab
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Because typically (although inaccurately) the amount of the bill reflects the degree of work your server had to preform.  Are you saying you don't like the notion of tipping? Or just curious?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I was just curious where it came from really.

Quoting emandab:

Because typically (although inaccurately) the amount of the bill reflects the degree of work your server had to preform.  Are you saying you don't like the notion of tipping? Or just curious?

malissaL
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:06 PM
5 moms liked this

I hate when the tip is automatically factored in to a bill. We were part of a party of 10 but we got separate bills, every one of us were factored in a tip, for the table of 10 (we were there just over an hour)  her tip total was over 70.00! I thought that was way too much. She took our orders and delivered the food to us and otherwise, we were too busy socializing with each other to bother her for anything. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I would think it would really just depend on what you order as to how many dishes they have to carry back and forth. I've had some pretty pricey one dish meals before. I do always tip (except one place where the waiter was horrible) our waiter tonight was pretty awesome lol

Quoting ff-princess:

generally speaking, a higher bill means more dishes, more back-and-forth, more service required for your table.

and you don't have to tip.  but TIPS means "to insure proper service".  as a former service industry worker, we do appreciate it when you show your thanks for a job well done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Quoting Alliemad_3:

We have a friend who lays out the tip on the table at the beginning of the meal. He tells his server what it is, and that it's up to him/her how much is left when they leave.

He's a ballsy old man...lol

lol damn! He seems pretty straight foward!

CatherineNewton
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
When they add the tip in. We tell them to remove the tip. We usually leave less money. Mainly bc the tip we would have left would have been more money. We also tip on service not percent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I understand and see how that could be annoying. You should be the one deciding.

Quoting malissaL:

I hate when the tip is automatically factored in to a bill. We were part of a party of 10 but we got separate bills, every one of us were factored in a tip, for the table of 10 (we were there just over an hour)  her tip total was over 70.00! I thought that was way too much. She took our orders and delivered the food to us and otherwise, we were too busy socializing with each other to bother her for anything. 

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM
6 moms liked this

I do tip based on how service is. Most of the time I give 15%, but if service was great I leave more and if it sucked I leave less.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN